Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 34 Ford Coupe Restored by Francis K. Smelcer of Maryville TN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteZombie, Jun 7, 2018.

1. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

A while back I bought a 34 Coupe and the other day I climbed underneath to check it out further and came across the name of the builder painted on the frame. The name was Francis K. Smelcer of Maryville TN. Anyone familiar with the name or the car? There is also a decal on the windshield Hillbillies CC of Knoxville TN. Just curious of the history of the car and the man that built it. IMG_3846.JPG IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3554.JPG IMG_3847.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. What a great little hot rod! I know nothing about it, but I do know that there are a lot of Smelcers in that area of East Tennessee. I went to elementary school there in that area with quite a few Smelcers, but have no memory of anyone named Francis. You might try to get in touch with Bobby Alloway. He is in Louisville, Tennessee which is right next door to Knoxville and Maryville. I bet if you were to attend the Shades of the Past event in Sept. in Pigeon Forge you could get some leads about the car, the club and the builder.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No help but it has the right flavor for this place...bet your having fun that's for sure...

4. A quick search indicated a Francis K. Smelcer, born in 1936 (81 yrs. old) living in Maryville, Tennessee. I'm betting he is your man.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Restored ???

pecker head, belair and 56don like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Even the Smelcers can't outrun the long arm of the HAMB...

7. A quick search revealed his address if it is in fact the same gentleman. I won't publish it here.

WhiteZombie likes this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Great hot rod

WhiteZombie likes this.
  9. Drop a note to Bruce Fischer. I think he's kind of in that neighborhood in the Sevierville area.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Hot rod alright but somebody doesn't know what restored means.

belair likes this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Might be a restored Hot Rod

WhiteZombie, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. clem

clem

Restored - how it should be restored.
    How else would you “restore” it ? ;)

13. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I think your car is very cool!

Thank you for sharing and for your interest in its history. I tracked down the last guy I could find that owned my 33' and he really appreciates all the updates (which are significantly different than he did over 30 years ago)...Why....? Because it was not as rare then and not many then had a ton of coin to throw at it.

And why anyone would rip on a "restored" post is beyond me. Who knows what the car looked like before he "signed his name" if you will. Can't judge a book by its cover...not everyone has the time, skill or $ to make a Rodders Journal car...THEN OR NOW

Enjoy it and best of luck with it.

14. Back up. I love a good mystery.:D

15. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Thanks for the replies. It’s not my definition of a restoration either. Possibly it was restored before it was made into a hot rod? I don’t know. I do know it’s been in Texas at least 15 years. I bought it from a club brother and he bought it from Richard Rawlings in 2007...before that had been in the hands of a couple more Texans.

There are a few things I’d like to change about the car eventually. It is channeled a couple of inches and has a wood floor. I’d like to put it back on a stock style floor. It also has a suicide front end that I would like to change closer to stock wheelbase so that I can run a hood and hood sides when the mood strikes me.

mad mikey and Shadow Creek like this.
  16. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Update: I found a Francis Smelcer on Facebook back in April of 2018. I sent a message and have heard nothing until this morning I noticed a message on Facebook saying what I wanted to hear...this was indeed the Francis Smelcer that had restored my 34 coupe. He sent me his number and wanted me to call him. He is a young man of 84 years and was happy to talk about this old car and filled me in on some of the history. The car was indeed a restored hot rod and was originally hot rodded in the 50s by the owner of the dragstrip in Maryville. I will definitely be calling him again to tie up some loose ends of the history of this car. I took some notes as we talked and will be putting them all together soon after some more research. This call for sure made my day.

17. adam401

adam401

Man that car has a great vibe. Has an early build feel to it.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps you will reconsider your direction with your proposed changes once you meet the former owner...perhaps he has some pics to share of its Hotrod past

Maybe add steel floors but consider keeping the channel... it really looks good on it.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  19. adam401

adam401

Oh man the channel with no chop makes that car

20. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

He sent me a few pictures online of how it was set up when he got it (gold) and some of how he changed it up when he owned it.

19341.jpg 19342.jpg 19343.jpg

It still has a 1952 Olds rear axle that is a bit too wide for my taste...especially with the narrow wheel and tire combo currently on it.

IMG_4549.JPG IMG_E4619.JPG

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

The car has a twin that was built about the same timeframe. My guess is that it was more of a racecar due to the drag slicks and supercharger.

343.jpg 344.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Very nice car ya got there. It must have a nice ride stretched out like it is. Also agree on the rear skins. good luck with her.

23. Thats amazing, congrats on finding him. I bet he's still smiling from the knowledge that the car is still around.

24. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Rides nice but takes a half acre to turn...unless you persuade it with the throttle.

harpo1313 likes this.
  25. pecker head

pecker head

COOL story, glad your back on the HAMB

26. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Great looking car, wish it was mine...................................