Register now to get rid of these ads!

'34 Ford Coupe Followed Me Home. Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Aug 23, 2009.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

They're still out there guys and gals, and sometimes close to home. I had 'stumbled' across this '34 Ford 5W Coupe a few months ago in an estate, and it was about a mile from where I live. Patiently waited and watched, and paced and waited some more - nearly didn't get it and then the call came. The irony is the guy who valued the estate, which had several cars including a Rod Bods '32 roadster and a Ferrari, was into Model A's, and 'appraised' this car just a hair over the value of their two A's, and I do mean just a hair. Said he looked high and low and studied the 'market'. Abolutely nuts. I tried to assist them, but they wouldn't listen to me. Turns out he apparently wanted to buy one of the A's, and cared less about this car. Looks to be a one paint car - a sympathetic restoration done in the 60's, original headliner, everything works - dome light, even the old clock mirror, except I can't get any tunes out of the ashtray radio - it lights up though. All steel, no patch panels ever that I can find, chrome is just amazing. The 21 stud V8 is running a 97, headers, glasspacks and duals, SW temp guage and oil pressure mounted in the back of the glovebox on a cool old panel, juice brakes and tube type shocks, and Kelsey 40 spokes, all done long ago. Was most likely a V8 club member's car before the gentleman who's family sold it bought it about 10 years ago. The car is just a joy to drive, really amazing, and I can't wipe the smile off my face whenever I am around it and or driving it. These pics are exactly as i found it - minus a few years of dust, absolutely nothing else has been touched.
    The question now is do I leave it alone, or tweak it a bit......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. brady1929

brady1929

sweet car. i would drive it just like it is.

3. rick finch

rick finch

Drop the front, juice brakes, lose the spare................drive it!:cool:

4. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Did you have to break the glass case it was in? or did they give you the key?
    Man thats cool !!!!

5. Bitchin car!!

If it were mine, I'd do a dropped axle, solid 16" wheels, big and littles, hydrallic brakes and a thickstun. Done :D

6. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Leave it and drive it man, Its beautiful

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Really great car... especially the exterior! The upholstery is the only thing I'd change inside (not that there's a thing wrong with it) and mechanically I'd probably hop up the brakes. Stance looks good. How does it drive?

8. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Chris - it runs so good I don't think I want to mess with it powertrain wise. The brakes are already hydraulic. I was thinkin' a reverse eye super slam spring, and 7.50s/5.50's, not much more. Even changing out the tires spooks me a little, as it drives so nice. :)

9. :eek::eek::eek: you lucky sombitch I would leave it the way it is looks bitchin'

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think Chris's idea is right on....

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

What you've got there is a time machine. I'd just get the radio fixed, try to find an AM station that plays big band or classic country and drive it around with a snappy hat on.

12. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

It changed who the driver was. so nothing more needs to be done...

HellRaiser

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

wheels, stance and intake would be my changes...and the spare...thats it!

14. pastlane

pastlane

Change the air freshener and drive the wheels off it.

Since I've been in the estate sale business it's been my dream to find a car. Congrats on a killer find.

15. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Put a dropped axle in, lose the spare wheel, throw a coupla carbs on the Flathead and call it done!Real NICE '34 I envy you!:D

Nick.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow that's an amazing car. congrats.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

It's already got juice brakes and it drives well... then, I wouldn't change a thing at this point. I'd enjoy it.

18. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

very nice. Have never seem those vent windows before

19. agentwaldo

agentwaldo
    from Ventura

It's yours now , do it the way you really want it to be. It is an amazingly original looking survivor,it would seem like cutting it up would be sacrilege, but it is up to you;drive it and enjoy it, however you decide to configure it .Congrats on a great find ...........Waldo

20. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Waldo - whatever I do - I won't cut it up. I respect it for what it is. Just minor tweaks is what I have in mind if I change anything. They can put the 'stock' stuff on when it's in MY estate sale...... :)

21. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Neither had I . Anyone else?

22. If you mess with it, #^&(($#,,,,please leave it alone and enjoy a rare piece of history just as it is

23. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I feel the same way Scrap - but the hot rodder in me wants to make it just a little bit mine. I promise I won't hurt it too much... :)

24. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

It is beautiful be gentle OK

25. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Beautiful car!! Good for you man!!

Ian

26. Awesome score! I'd chuck a drilled axle in it, leaf or two out of the rear, take the wires off and put some solids painted black with blackwalls, leave the tires on the wires to put on whenever you want. Take the spare off the back. And fix the radio. You could swap the wheels/ tires back and forth to have a totally different look, its asking for a Santa Ana Drags look for sure. And that'd suit you too!

-Shiny

27. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

Wow, nice car. I've been staring at those pics for ten minutes. Sounds like it is in good hands now. I have seen vent windows on a car sitting in a shop about to become a street rod but I don't think they were that big.

28. Ebert

Ebert

DITTO! Great looking ride! Congrats.
    Ebert

29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a find of a lifetime! Already has the 2 most important changes with tube shocks and hydraulic brakes!
    There's an outfit down in FLA that should be able to convert that radio to modern solid state innards. I have one in '55 Ford stock appearance that's converted to solid state, AM/FM stereo. Making it solid state eliminates the vibrator, thereby getting rid of the biggest headaches of old car radios which are the vibrator and vacuum tubes. The radio will play better, be more dependable, and draw way less current. I can check my paperwork over at the shop and either post or PM you the info if you're interested.
    I would drive it as it is otherwise for now, and concentrate on rounding up parts for a better flathead for when the old 21 stud gets tired, and it will if you drive it "enthusiastically". I would prefer a 59A myself. Maybe a bit of a cam and a 4" crank X 3&5/16 bore.
    If you go post '48, check overall length (including front crank pulley) closely because some of the last flatheads had a longer crank pulley system that requires notching the front crossmember, which would be criminal on this car!
    When it comes to hiway cruising at modern speeds, a conversion to a T-5 trans with it's 5th gear overdrive would sure help matters.
    But leave that body alone! Keep the spare tire, the wire wheels and all, it's too nice to change!
    Dave

30. Just a few minor things that I would do,,,reversed eye spring and a dropped axle,,,take the painted band off the rear spare tire,,,or remove the spare,,,that's about it,,

It's amazing how much a little drop helps with the look,,,below is a photo of my sedan which has the old kelseys also.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009