Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford coupe barn find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ss34coupe, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Richard - a lot of hot rodders here, and even more car guys - a good place if you are into cars. I am doing my best to stick with the traditional rodding style, and would like to see more do the same here on Vancouver Island. Flatheads and old Cadillac V8's is where it is at for me! Back to my earlier question, anyone got experience at putting an 8BA flathead into a 33-34 Ford chassis?

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)A Cadillac V-8 would be cool in that 33-34 coupe. I don't recall any problems to do that . Motor mounts and trany adaptor are simple. It is a very traditional ''engine swap''. Mike Sink had a Caddy in his 40 coupe . I had a Caddy out of a hearse in my pickup. The starter mounts on the right side unlike the Pontiac I put in my Hudson. The extra weight of the Caddy is not a problem just add an extra spring leaf. Stick flywheel/clutch ,trany adaptor engine mounts makes it a bolt in. Many Caddy and Olds parts interchange to get it bolted in. Honest Charlie's catalog supply had the parts and were low in price. :cool::eek:

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

4. I saw your car in a magazine tonight,
    Very nice!

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Flowmeister. Thanks for checking out the article! I have been following your 33 truck build - nice work!

6. adavis

adavis

That coupe is killer....and the direction you're taking her is dead on. I'm very jealous.

7. SS: Don't you have too many coupes? You need to trade one of them for a cabriolet....Tim

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for the kind comment!

You are right, Tim, I should get a cabriolet one day - but for now I need to get my two coupe projects done and that will keep me busy for several more years.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Just heard from Dennis, the previous owner of this coupe. When I first saw the coupe, Dennis had it stored in a barn (as shown in photos at the beginning of this thread) and the car sat beside two Model A trucks. Dennis tells me that he sold one of those trucks yesterday, so the barn is now down to just one old vehicle. Come on Dennis, you have got to build the remaining Model A truck, you can't get rid of them all!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

Steve You should be able to use truck water pumps on that flathead and that would take care of the front mounts.You are taxing my memory-big time! I used car pumps in my A and some how while trying to get the angled bolts started, had the bar slip that I was prying up the motor with and somehow dropped the motor which flattened my finger between the water pump and the crossmember! It took some time to reach the bar with my foot and get the motor up to release my finger! We won't mention the blood all over the black lacquer frame-that stuffs hard to get off! Use truck pumps the bolt is straight up and down and save your fingers-you only have eight! Den:eek:

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Dennis - thanks for the tip about the truck water pumps. I know I have an article on swapping a 8BA flathead into a 34 chassis somewhere and it does contain the info I need. You talked awhile ago about wanting to find your old tudor - any luck on the search yet? Rumour mill here has it that the Ardun in your old hot rod is now in a 27 roadster pickup that has been in this area for many years.

12. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

Bad rumour -that car and engine belonged to Frank Vaness. He had the other Ardun on the block so to speak! That car was in a garage fire not too long ago but I also heard a rumour that it was salvaged:confused:

13. carrera600

carrera600

STEVE, BRILLIANT FIND ! That Coupe rocks, i`ll definately watch your thread for the build.
    Cant wait !

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, but it will be some time before I get to this project - there are two others ahead of it. This one was the find of a lifetime for sure. Appreciate the comment!

Baron likes this.