Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '34 Ford 5/W Quarter Window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Oct 25, 2018.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wa.St.

Have a friend that is building a '34 Ford 5/W out of bit's and pieces of a '34 4 door rear top section and front doors. Any one have the "stock" dimensions of the 5/W quarter window at it's widest width? He's trying to put it all together stock appearing THAN will chop it from there.
    Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wa.St.

Here's where he is at now.............................

Attached Files:

3. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

That looks pretty neat just like that,that little window is one of the hardest parts to make the chop look right,have seen too many that were not done right,on some the window goes egg shaped,does not look good in my opinion,i wuld push the car outside and stand back about 30 feet and you will get a good idea how it should look. Harvey

4. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wa.St.

As you can see the top needs to be moved forward to match the back, he wants to cut window vertical to gain some but doesn't want to go any narrower than a stock '34 5/W quarter ......................

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Squablow

Squablow

I did this same thing with a '33. Duke, a HAMBer from Canada was nice enough to trace out the window opening from his coupe and send me the templates in cardboard, which I used as a guide. It's not just the width front to back that's different, the height is slightly lower on a coupe and the shape at the top is a little different, plus the slope of the crown of the rear window.

Here's a pic of the template that Duke sent me, showing the front to back measurement at the widest point, looks like 11 inches almost right on the head.

20181026_172240.jpg

4ever18 likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a couple pics of my '33 where you can see where I made cuts into the roof skin to reshape it, Duke also sent me a template of the slope of the rear window and it's significantly different than the sedan.

20170914_131833.jpg
    20170914_131937.jpg

4ever18 likes this.
  7. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wa.St.

Just the info he needed and a Ford Barn member also confirmed 11"!
    PM sent about the parts you need!

8. 18n57

18n57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wa.St.

It's weird but before I posted this question he took a stab and it, his eye told him 11" was about rite and so it is!

bowlingball likes this.