Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Ford 3 window door latches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Vette, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Is anyone making new, original style door latches?

Years ago there were driver's door latches made to use a lock cyl like the passenger door.
    Does anyone remember who made them?

Can parts from a passenger side latch be used on the driver's side to put a lock on the driver's side?

Do later Fords use a lock on the drivers side?
    If so, when did they start using driver's side lock cyls?

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Ed, I got a pair of reproduction door handles from Mac's and they both have a key lock in them. There is no provision for inside locking but the car can be secured when away from it. I also used the newer bearclaw latches so the suicide doors would fair a little better if the body tweeked and the door wanted to come open. Even at that, I still have security locks on the door.

3. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The original setup for a stock '34 had a lock cyl only on the passenger's door. The handles did not have locks in them. The cyl pushed a piece of metal down into the latch mechanisim to prevent the handle from being able to push the latch back.
    It appears that the driver's side latch had provision for the same parts, in mirror image, but they were not installed.
    I wonder if the driver's side locked on cars made for England or Oz.
    I searched on door latches and came up with pictures of '40 latches and it looks like they used a similar mechanisim for locking both sides.

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think they just used the same die to punch all the holes in the flat sheet. Then when it went to the bending operation, it got turned into either the right or left side.

5. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

It is possible that the first cut for the rough piece of metal for the latch body was the same for left or right. I think the second stamping of the part would put different recesses in the parts for left or right. I think then they would put in the various holes for left or right.

6. Model A Vette,

I am pretty sure SAR also tooled up original style door latch assemblies when they tooled up the new three window bodies.
    They are in the ramp up mode right new with the first body deliveries to customers in October, so I am not sure service parts are available yet, but I would think they are close.