Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford 3 Window Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gasserfreak, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Good to see you working on it. Axle looks nice.
    Note to self; I really need to get back to working on my 34!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Great looking coupe, keep up the good work!

3. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well, I've been trying to keep motivated on my car even though it wont be "exactly" how I want it, but if I can just get it driveable, I'll be happy. Some progress over the last few day, here's some pics.

The other day I took these to work with me to work on them on my lunch break, I think they came out OK-for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got my front end put together, and ready to be hung after I dust it with the rattle can one more time.
    [​IMG]

Got the rear suspension all back together, Had my guard dog out with me, to keep me company.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of my original spring I had reversed, and Tardel dropped shakles.
    [​IMG]

Here's the wheel in the fender after the drop, I'm hoping the spring will settle down a little. It's not quite as low as I was hoping for. I may have to liberate a couple leafs
    [​IMG]

First thing this morning, my trusty floor jack took a shit with the car in the air, and scared the hell out of me. So I made a run to HF and picked this up on sale for $79.
    Being a mechanic for a living, I'm not real fond of HF, but it was way cheaper than Snap-On or Corwell.
    [​IMG]

Front ends back under the car, tommorrow me and Lance are going to adjust the spindles to acomodate the dropped axle with the "Blue Wrench".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done for the day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

keep-on-keepin-on ,you'll be on the road in no time

5. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well, I spent a good while out in the garage today, but called it quits early to spend some time with the family. I couldn't find my camera early on, so unfortunatly I didn't take any before pictures. Enjoy.

This was the left spindle with upper steering arm last night, before readjustment, wouldn't clear the spring perch because I'm running original lever shocks.
    [​IMG]

My friend Lance came by with the torch, and after alot of heating and bending it's ready for a fresh coat of paint.
    [​IMG]

All bolted back on, I'm very happy with the way it turned out, follows the drop of the axle almost perfectly.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't resist throwing the hub on, and test fitting the wheel in the fender, Its not on the ground yet, because I still need to shorten the tie rod.
    [​IMG]

Parting shot for the day, starting to look like a Hot Rod. I'm really happy with how this is turning out.
    [​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Good on you. I just love the look of those full fendered 34 coupes and yours is extra special with your pops influence worked into it. Slow and steady.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool to see you getting this car back on the road.... keep it going!!

Malcolm

8. alchemy

alchemy

I think you'll find the front spring to be very stiff with all those leaves in it. Start at the top and take out the second, fourth, and maybe the sixth leaves. It will ride a lot better, and will bring the front end down a touch as well. You could also reverse the main leaf.

If you have as many leaves in your rear spring as the front, you could remove some of those as well. Usually using two less leaves than stock will provide a comfortable ride, and lower a bit to boot.

9. update update! Awesome car!

10. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well, It's been forever since I've updated this thread, or worked on my car for that matter. Alots happened. Anyway, spent the weekend workin on the 34. Big change is coming.

I cut my roof insert out with the airsaw following the original roof hole which luckily was not cut out when the insert was welded over top of it. That left about two inches of metal that I had to get off. So I followed the weld with the die grinder, careful not to cut into the original metal.
    [​IMG]

Then every six or so inches I pried it up and cut it off. Probably not the easiest way to get the job done, but it was the only way I felt comfortable doing it.
    [​IMG]

Which left me with this.
    [​IMG]

Did I say Big changes were coming, I meant HUGE changes were coming, stay tuned.
    [​IMG]

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

tuned in and waiting

12. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well I loaded my most valued material possession on a trailer today, and for the first time that I can ever remember, I left it in the care of another man. When it returns to my garage, it'll be a little bit closer to the dream
    [​IMG]

13. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

The weather's super shitty in San Diego today, cant even open my garage door because the wind will blow a bunch of crap in, so I'll just play on the net today. Plus my car's not in it right now anyway, but there's always cleaning to be done.

So me and my oldest daughter took some parts that I forgot last weekend and I snapped a pic of the old gal from the door on my way out. I think Im on deck. This is getting exciting!!
    [​IMG]

Here's a snapshot of my new little buddy Axle, this is part of why progress is so slow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  14. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well I got a phone call a little while ago while I was out shopping with the family, and as soon as I got home I checked facebook for an update. I wasn't going to, but Im so damned excited, I just had to share!!! Just in case you check this thread out, Thanks brother!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cool car man.....
    Was diggin' the fact you were building it in a small garage and not some big fancy "pro"-type shop.....
    Gonna be a fine ride once finished....

16. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I'm still building it myself in a small garage. I'm getting some "pro"-type help for a special part of the project. What we're doing Is just a bit beyond my skill level. Even if I could do it myself, I'd still be happy with this decision.

Drew

17. Looks like you're on the right track now. Is that Fullerton Fabrications?

18. Hey Drew, good for you man. AWESOME coupe. I will definately be in tow!

Hack

19. Smokey2

Smokey2

Congrats............Thanks for the detailed Post, Keep'em Comin'...........
    Lost my Dad when I was Just sixteen, Man !
    He left me with a '40 tudor ceedan, hence.......An $80 car that the rings never seated-in..............they tell me that they MUST touch The Cylinder Walls, or they never seat ?????
    Whar Does You Thing "nickname" Smokey came from.........ok, Hint. The Car had Dual
    Exhaust............right !, To carry tha' s m o k e OUT ! With twin AC Oil Filters instead of Mufflers !
    '33 and '34 Fords Have always been My First LOVE,
    Then tha' Mercs............Lucky ME, I've had'em Both, Stock, and Chopped.
    Now............on with the Chevies !
    Good Luck to you, and Thanks.

Right ! "Smokey 2"

20. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Nice car and have fun. I wanna watch this build too. I'm subscribed.

21. I was thinking the same thing. There's another HAMBer's car in the pics.

Enjoying following this build. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

22. I also enjoyed reading your detailed posts and seeing the pictures. I will be following to see how it turns out.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Drew,
    Very kool to see you back on this project. and in the meantime you created another helper (Axle) ;). I wasn't sure if you gonna whack it? It seemed that you were just going to keep it as it was when I saw the wood getting instaled to hang the doors.
    I know that I couldn't whack my Blue coupe,but I do have another that I've been saving for a rainy day in order to build the 34 that I always wanted to build. Getting them is one thing, hanging onto is another thing and Working on em is truly another.

Kudos to you for having the foresight to have someone that can make your dream happen,happen! Congrats on both Axle and the whack! You're doing a great job on the build!

24. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks to everyone for following along, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. Yes, my cars at Fullerton Fabrication, Rudy is helping me chop it again. I wasn't really gonna say anything, but after I'm done loading this next round of pics there's really no hiding it. After I saw how "some people" completely ruined DROD's thread, which by the way is an incredible car in person. PERFECT 5W! For Sure. If you don't like how my car's being chopped, built, etc..., please PM it to me, keep it to yourself, or better yet buy all the cherry 33-34's and "save them" from becoming hot rods, instead of messing up my thread, because honestly, I really don't care if you don't like it. Now if you do like it, that's another story LOL. It's MY dream car not yours. Now that-that rant is out of the way, that you again everyone for following along, and helping me stay motivated.

Thanks Kevin! We're super stoked on the new "garage buddy", he's my 3rd kid but my first boy, and after the wife had the big "C" a couple of years ago, we weren't supposed to be able to have anymore. He truly was a gift from God. I know what your saying about being able to "whack" it. It was a decision that took several years to make, I did Fit new wood for the car and everything to leave it how it was, but I just didn't like it and I don't see myself ever being able to afford another one, so I figured I might as well make the one I have my dream car ya know.

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

kickass... I'm in.

26. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Oh Shit :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Shitty pic with my cell, more to come

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    ls1yj likes this.
  27. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I went up to Fullerton today to check it out before it starts getting tacked together.Man, I'm diggin it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  28. hasty

hasty

Looking good - keep us posted with progress pictures