Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Man, that looks tough coming down the road! Me likey!

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

John, as always it was good seeing you yesterday.

I'm glad you got a chance to drive the truck yesterday. It's always good to get feedback from a fellow Hotrodder.

You're on for the Spin Out. I'll keep on Tony to get that Hemi done for ya!!

Just to let everybody know whats going on with the truck. I've got a few more miles on it, and so far so good. I've been working on fine tuning the carbs and I'm getting closer.

I was running fat right where I wanted to cruise about 2400. I dropped the jets in the primary carbs down to 68's from 70's. I also drilled the air bleeds out another .002. It runs much cleaner now and seems to make more power. It does have a slight hesitation but after that HOLD ON! I figure I'll get it to run good part throttle then I work on WOT and the hesitation. I'm thinking the hesitation my be 6 accelerator pumps dumping all at once. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

3. IronworkerDieselPunk

IronworkerDieselPunk

Mat, this thread was super inspirational and wicked vicious to see completed, I had a sparkle of pride in my eye when I heard that beast fire up on youtube, that's one grizzly rumble certain to frighten the piss out of weak and strong hearts alike, ahaha! BTW your welding on the intake was all tig, yeah? if not, way to put that wire in there, they're super cosmetically appealing, and the welding on the grill is PSYCHO exact, those spacing dimensions on your vertical slats all look like they're within a 64th! ahaha :D Any Millwright would be proud :D It's a MoNsTeR :D ahaha
    Congrats on the birth too! Peace&Blessings to y'all!

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks, All the welding on the intake is TIG. I'm still sorting everything out but you're right it is a monster!!

5. IronworkerDieselPunk

IronworkerDieselPunk

lolz ahaha right on!!!

6. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Nice !!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

That is a sick sounding truck......Glad to see you got it on the road
    Now tear the tires off of it

Grommet

8. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Great build! My favorite part by far, the intake manifold, the 6x2's and the SS fuel lines. Love it. Keep up the good work.

9. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks guys. Grommet here's a in car video, I think it sounds so much better in the truck!! I did have to short shift it and shut it down early though, not a lot of room on that street.

thirdstreettito, The crazy part about the 6x2 setup is it actually works pretty good. I still have tuning to do but I'm getting closer.

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

I'd say an "ATTA BOY" is in order

11. that thing is wicked... any idea on hp/tq #'s?

12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

My buddy that built the motor built a very similar motor where he works, a 582 pump gas BBC with a single dominator. They dynoed that motor and it made 798 HP. Obviously my intake is not as efficient as a modern 4 barrel, so my best guess is around 750.

I would love to put it on a dyno one day to know for sure.

13. kisam

kisam

Now that was cool! I felt the same way about my video's sound part. Of course I was using a cheapy camera that I bought for my Mom?

14. Way cool I really like it .
    What did you do with the rearend you took out ???

15. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Well it's a few months since I updated this thread. I had a lot of fun this summer driving the truck. After I got it on the road most of my time was spent getting the carbs dialed in. The setup works almost perfect.

I took the truck off the road in early November and tore it down. I have a lot of things I want to get handled this winter. But the biggest project I'm tackling is moving the radiator to the bed.

Why would I want to move the radiator to the bed? Well the plan is to run a single or twin centrifugal superchargers on the truck. (Hopefully next winter) Now I will have room to put an intercooler in the grille shell. I want to get the chassis painted this winter and I had to have this part done.

The first thing was trying to figure out how to get the coolant from the front to back. What I came up was to use 1-5/8" mild steel from the firewall to the bed. I just notched the bottom of the crossmembers and the tubing will be welded in solid.

From the motor to the firewall I used 1-5/8" Stainless mandrel bends. I routed the passenger side behind the head instead of the front to leave more room for the supercharger/superchargers. I also added a 1" threaded bung to help when I fill and purge the system.

The next issue was finding a radiator that fit. As usual nothing off the self would. The solution I came up with was to run twin radiators and cut them down to fit. Now I have roughly 2-1/2 times the area of the front radiator. I'm nervous about getting enough airflow and wanted as much core space as I could get.

I bought 2 of the universal 31x18 aluminum Ebay deals. This was my first attempt at cutting down a core and I think it came out good. When you split the core you end up with the fins all smashed and no good way to finish the top off. What I did was have a piece of aluminum broke into a C-channel. I welded that on and I think it finishes the top nice. Plus I had to move inlets outlets, and the cap.

That's where I am right now. I'm going to work on getting them mounted now.

Attached Files:

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bitchin truck,just gets better and better

17. Awesome build thread! Love the truck and the way it sits. Sounds mean too. Keep the updates coming.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice to see an update. WoW. Gary

19. Dam nice work, the truck looks great. I am working on a 34 my self hope to get some pictures up as soon as I can get this posting thing to work.

20. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

21. Is it still legal to have any type of exhaust system for a truck? I remember having glass packs on a pickup truck and did get pulled over a few times. The cops warned me that my exhaust system was too loud, but couldn't give me a ticket.
    Well anyways, I love your build. Especially jigging up and welding up the frame on that big metal table.
    It's built strong and safe. Great job!

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

When I first saw your chassis build I thought to myself..."that's really overkill" but now I see the madness in the plan, and I like it. That thing will be a serious monster.

Definitely deserves 2 "Attaboys"

23. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I doubt much of anything is legal on my truck! But so far so good I haven't been messed with yet. I really do need to try and quiet it down. I would be nice to able to talk to the passenger every once in awhile.:)

Thanks, You're absolutely right my chassis is overkilled. The guy that built my cage is always busting my balls on how I overbuilt it. I guess if it's too heavy I'll just have to make more power.:)

24. Hey Matt,
    Just curious how the truck has been coming along since the tear down over the winter.

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Well Brian, it hasn't been the smoothest sailing this year.

First my radiators in the bed only keep the motor cool until about 70. Anything hotter then that and the temp would shoot up. Until I stopped at a light, then it would start coming down. So that tells me, I don't have enough airflow. I figure I need to build some kind of air scoops. I don't want to be building in the middle of the summer so I put the front radiator back in. So now I have all 3 hooked up. I don't have any cooling problems now!

So I get drive the truck around town a few times after I put the radiator back in and everything is good. I decide to drive it to the Gasser Reunion at Thompson which is about a 15 mile drive. I make it about 3/4 of the way there and I start dropping cylinders. I kill it and pull over. I have fuel and spark, so I try to fire it again. It's back firing through the carbs and won't idle. At this point it's time to tow it home.

To make a long story short, the motor ate a roller lifter. So it's out and at my motor guy. I plan on having it back here soon though. Hopefully I'll be tearing up the streets again soon!

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear you had to take her apart...was that a solid or hyd roller and do you have a lead on why it came apart?

Good luck getting her back together, she is one bad mo-fo.

-Abone.

27. n847

n847

Holly Crap thats a bad ass truck! I'm not sure how I've never seen this before! I'm glad you live in Ohio...I hope to see this truck in person some day! Seriously wicked looking truck! Sorry to hear about your motor, hope its back on the road soon!

28. Damn, sorry to hear that. I was hoping you would post that the truck was done, painted, and you had no time to post because you were tearing up the streets. :)

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

30. Damn Mat - that sucks.

I have never heard of releasing solid roller lifters either. If that's the cause that would be a great tech. I'm sure you'll know more about them than you ever wanted.

Good luck on a speedy engine recovery.