Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 chevy standard or master?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratrodnut, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

i bought a basket case 5 window coupe chevy today. No frame by looking at cowel and pics in mags i think its a 34. How can i tell if its a master or standard. I want to make a full fendered traditional hot rod using old steel parts. Have main body back fenders doors cowel. No deck lid frame front fenders hood or grill. Thanks for any info or help. Came with dash has glove box on right. It was off so could have come from other car.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Fixed it for you! ;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

(Shaking his head) Fucking Newbies!:rolleyes: Thanks for helping him out cactus1.

4. Here they come!:eek:

Attached Files:

• Rats.jpg
      Rats.jpg
      File size:
      337.5 KB
      Views:

5. flamed34

flamed34

You're a Quality Control Technician and you want to build a RR???????

Hoping after 70 posts you're pulling our legs...or just out of touch with terminology and want to to build a traditional HOT ROD.

All that being said, the easiest way to tell the difference (without measuring) is in the dash. The glove box on the right is a standard. Dual "glove box" openings is a master.

6. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

The picture is not of a 34 Chevy...............Wait a minute I see, Rat Patrol :eek:

How about some piston headlights also :rolleyes:

7. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Jeeze guys just wanted some help not a lecture on car terms. Funny how a wrong word or term in some bodys opinion can bring out a tongue lashing. Yeh i guess traditional rod would have been a better choice. Im not really a rat rod phenatic. I used that on ebay several years ago and continue to use it cause its easy to remember on all the sites i frequent. Anyway thanks for the info and lighten up on the newby u were one once.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  8. Ah, we were pretty easy on you. compared to the hazing that usually gets dished out on here. You'll find there are quite a few Chevy projects on the HAMB, and you will get the answers to your questions from somebody here. Good luck with the build.:D

9. flamed34

flamed34

Rodnut (I'll skip the first part),

I'm building a '34 Master Town Sedan. One day, I'll update the pics in my album to the current state, but it's coming along.

My father's been building HOT RODS for 50 years...and he uses the RR term indiscriminately to describe any "traditional" rod in flat black, etc. He knows the difference, but calls the true RR's simply "shit".

Guess what I'm saying is I understand people sometimes juxtapose the terms.

10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Funny; I had a 33 Chevy master 3 window & it had no glove box. The dash cluster was in the center though. Had the dash out and other then the center cut out to accommodate the updated gauges; it didn't look as if it had ever been modified. Maybe 33 masters had no glove box at all???:confused:

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Genarally Master had instruments in front of driver and a glove box in front of passenger, Standards had centre instrument cluster and no glovebox.

12. 1938ute

1938ute
    from australia

I thought standard is no glovebox centre instrument cluster and master had a glovebox , the bead on the guards is bigger on a master about a 1" , standard is about 3/4"
    Here's a standard roadster dash.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Steve

13. 34 Master dash (and K-member chassis)
    Steve

Attached Files:

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's how to distinguish chassis when you get around to locating one.

Also I've seen 'Master' dashes in 'Standards', I considered it for mine.

On a 'Master', the grill shell and engine side curtains are different; as such 'Standard' sheet metal won't interchange with a 'Master'. Also if you locate a chassis, "Masters' had knee action front suspension, 'Standards' had parallel leafs.

'Master' rear fenders are a lot fuller in shape than 'Standards'.

Here's the difference in the hoods and side curtains.

Attached Files:

15. flamed34

flamed34

Guess I wasn't clear when I posted this - I stayed up WAY past my bedtime.

When I stated "glove box on the right" I was thinking in the center.
    With the "dual glove box openings" I was referring to one on left and one on right. Depending on which side the steering column was placed, either opening could be the glove box and either could be the gauge cluster.

Let me know if you need any other measurements for IDing what you have. As someone else stated, the sheet metal is not interchangeable. The grille is taller, fenders are bigger and longer, the running boards are longer, and the rear fenders are bigger.

16. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

ok couple of questions fur u guys. are the main body shells same on standard and master? if so does which ever frame i use dictate which front sheet metal to use? so if i locate a frame with parallel leaf springs it is a standard frame and uses standard sheet metal? thanks and flamed 34 i sound like ur dad i am 67 and prob am guilty of being stupid in my terminology. i just want to build an old looking original outer shell with updated chasis so i can drive around safely and easily hopefully and cheaply as poss and i always wanted an old chevy. built several old fords and one dodge now finally chevy.

17. GaryN

GaryN

I don't have any experience with the coupe but I have had both Std. and Master sedans. The master wheel base is 6" longer than the std. On the sedans the front doors are 2" longer on a master. Also on the master the indent in the firewall is noticeably shallower compared to the std. Also the rear fenders attach differently on both. The std. fender bolts go into the side of the wheel tub and master bolts around the top of the tub.
    I believe you will have to use the std. front sheet metal on a std. body due to the differences in the firewall/cowl area. And master sheet metal on a master. Unless you want to customize.

18. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Any more help appreciated.