Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 34 Chevy RPU, anybody got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Yesterday i got offered a 34 moredoor sedan. Its complete, but rough. I got to thinking it would make a great RPU, but dont think ive ever seen it done. Im sure it has, so has anyone got one/done one? Fendered or unfended, any tips or suggestions? I,ll get sum pics up, when it stops raining. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Hamb search came up with 4 threads, but nothing like what im after, Google got me a you tube vide of a cool old one, rusting in a field, and Images got me a dozen pics, before they turned into full PU trucks. Heres two pics, one is a glass version, and the aqua custom one was interesting. Other pics werent real clear. So im still kean to get some research done.

Attached Files:

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a local Ozzie ALL STEEL 35 RPU. GMH also made roadster utilities

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. Thanks mgtstumpy. The u tube vid i found was a utility, and it said they were rare. Same type of body as a coupe ute, just without a roof. Sorry i cant provide a link. I like the rpu look better, and the 35 is exactly what im thinking. Hopefully someone here has cut a 4 door into one.

5. Looks like i own it. Really dont need another project, so i will proberbly cut it, do some bodywork, and flick it. Maybe catch up with nieghbor who im gettin it off tonight, and get some pics.

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

bring it on over....I'll get some fresh hacksaw blades and cuttin wheels...:D:D

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Mmmm, cutting wheels, i wanna cut this thing bad. :) niegbour just got home, and i to dark for pics. Spent my arvo getting this ready for paint, for my buddy, Jimmy. It ak hooked up, and runs great. I maybe painting it tomorrow. He has 6 more coming. Maybe ill throw one in the Chev...

Attached Files:

8. Still waiting to catch up with the nieghbour, and it may be in my shed by end of the weekend. Snaped this pic an hour ago.

Attached Files:

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's restored RPU I just stumbled onto

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

so much classier than those ugly Fords.

33sporttruck and kiwijeff like this.
  11. It has potential...but then again, what pile of rust doesn't? You know what that car needs? These...

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. :) i got it home. Towed real nice, and ive not long finished presure blasting it. Heres the pics before i washed it. Cool pic mgtst, and they do look classy jcmarz. 37Hotrod, i got your kiwi swaps all ready for you, and a bonus 60s kiwi plate, that was in the Chev.

13. IMG173.jpg IMG172.jpg IMG171.jpg Whoops got distracted. Heres some pics...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    50 customcoupe likes this.
  14. fleet-master

fleet-master

It's rooted...you want me to take it off your hands Jeff ? :D:p I've got cutting wheels and hacksaw ready....

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Not only that...some joker put the steering wheel on the wrong side!

16. Ha, thats a quality automobile, or it could be. I'll have a play with it, then pass it on. The longer it stays in my shed, the more work it'll see. I got it inside tonight.

17. IMG174.jpg IMG175.jpg Heres the plate that was in it. Kiwi plate from the early 60s.

18. I dunno, the more I stare at the pics, I'm just not feeling the RPU thing....but I am starting to see a phaeton tub under all that mordoor! And leave the luggage rack on it!

19. Im really likin the cream with red fendered one that mgtstumpy posted, but i do like pheatons too. Either way, it may not be here long, theres a few interested people, and while id love to cut it, if i can make a small profit, it'll be gone. I got luggage rack freed up today.

20. luke13

luke13

if youve got some gang nails an wood glue you could always roof chop it:D

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. If id left it outdoors for any longer, it woulda roof chopped itself :) Tomorrow i have to paint the flathead, and when i get home, ill pull the plugs in the Chevy, and see if the engines siezed.

22. luke13

luke13

knowin our luck with weather youll chop it get it running and then itll be the wettest summer since records began, with my 34 the wood has also disolved and the steel body is going through some kind of natural self lightening process, chevs are pretty rare on the ground let alone a rpu, lots of guys cut em into utes after the war though.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. I live on the West Coast of the SI, so its naturaly wet. Maybe i could turn the Chev into a boat? :) nice to see another 34 owner here, and local too.

24. IMG179.jpg IMG178.jpg Crap lighting, crap camera phone, so heres some dark crappy pics.

25. Ford Pilot engine. Notice the different heads and the Lucas dizzy ( Don't let the special smoke out, Lucas don't make it anymore!) :eek:

26. luke13

luke13

out pukekohe there was a guy by the name of louie the leopard antunovich he ran a car wreckers and helped build puke race track, he used race an old chev usually powered by an old flathead v8, the chev always looks smart with a sidevalve v8 in it. pilot engine would be a v8 60 wouldnt it?

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. 4t6ford, Jimmy got a complete Pilot chassis, and the engine turned out to bn a good one. He proberbly starts it 20 times a day, and its a spare for his 37 truck. Luke13, i remember reading about Louie the leopard in New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine, as a teenager. Still got the mags. Im not sure if its a 60. 4t6, ?

28. IMG180.jpg Plugs out, and its all looking very good. Sheds kinda full, so theres not much room to get at engine, but i'll know by the end of the day, if its siezed. Hardly enough room to swing a cat! :)

29. IMG181.jpg IMG183.jpg IMG184.jpg IMG182.jpg Didnt get engine painted today, but ive put a few hours in, on the Chev. Cleaned up lots of crap, put penetrating oil on as many screws and nuts as i could get to, gave it a good blow over with the air, and started beating out the dents in both front fenders... Untill some armoured, big ass freaky spider crawled out a hole, looked at me lookn at him, and crawled back into his hole. I got a can of CRC, lit a lighter, and sprayed fire all around where he went, but dont know if i got him. Cant turn engine, but still a chance it may be ok. Heres a couple of random pics.

30. IMG187.jpg IMG188.jpg Another smaller spider made a web in the rear doorway today, so i gave it a dose of rattle can primer. Not sure if you can see it in the pic. Also took pic of rear window winder bakelite, thats headed to a new home in Oregon.