Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 Chevy rear window install.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jokester

Jokester

Hi all, I need a little info. I'm trying to install the rear glass in my 34 Chevy coupe. I bought the glass many years ago from a guy who is no longer in business. He cut it off of a pattern that I made (apparently not a very good pattern). Guess what, it's too big and I can't fit it in the hole (where have I heard that before?). So my question is, can I sand or grind or otherwise reduce the size of the glass. Side to side seems ok, but the height seem to be off, maybe 1/4". Can I use a belt sander with a special grit or special abrasive to slowly reduce the height? It is not tempered glass; it is laminated.

Thanks for any info.

.bjb

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Glass would be tempered and susceptible to breaking, however in saying that a friend had some tempered glass cut for his car and it was slightly larger than his original pattern. He returned it to the glazier who managed to cut it down to the correct size without damaging it. All the edges were then radiused again, problem solved. I'd personally use a glazier rather than do it myself. I don't have the knowledge or skillset plus neither I or anyone else would want to ingest those minute glass particles. They don't dissolve once in your lungs!
    If glass is laminated I don't think that you'd be too successful in resizing it, others may have real world experience.

3. I have sanded laminated glass down before. I have done it with a belt sander and some water or grease to cool it. watch the glass and avoid making it red, that would cause a chip out. may be faster to cut the 1/4" off with a glass cutter.

4. Tempered glass can't be sanded or cut after its tempered. Laminated, no problem, take it to a shop that has a wet sander.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. BJR

BJR

Most flat glass that is cut is laminated and can be sanded.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Belt sander with an 80 grit belt and copious amounts of water from a spray bottle. You can go lighter grit to finish it up and even polish it if you'd like, but those edges never get seen or touched.

7. Jokester

Jokester

OK, thanks for all the input. I think I mentioned that it's not tempered.

I'll be locating another glass guy to get this one cut/sanded down.

thx.

.bjb