Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Chevy Master questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ChevyMaster, Jun 17, 2021.

1. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I have a 34 Chevy Master 2 door with an after market auto trans/engine.
    The car is 99 percent complete and now I have decided it needs an ebrake. I want to put a floor handle brake with custom cables.
    My question is where in the heck can I put an ebrake handle?
    First I have reupholstered OE seats. Those fit extremely close and there is a cross member in the middle at that location.
    2nd I have an OE dash that has no replace to mount a handle nor would it hold the stress.
    Please if you don’t know anything specific to this car don’t bother to answer. It’s nothing like a 34 Ford. If you own one or know of them I would really appreciate the help.
    Thanks in advance

2. Look at a Jaguar xjs or Porsche 944 from the 80’s
    They had a handle that sat in the left side of the drivers seat and you would pull up the apply the parking brake and the. It would automatically drop down.

3. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

There isn’t a 1/4” between the door and the seat when using the OE seats. Sooo that’s not going to work

4. Budget36

Budget36

Are you opposed to making a firewall to dash brace?
    Another question is where would you like the parking brake actuator to be. We’re they originally on the floor with a drum on the tranny?

5. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I have several braces on the firewall now. I was hoping not to add more and the more stuff hanging down. I have a Lokar auto shift on the floor which takes up space. it’s the parking brake actuator that is the problem. I have no room between the seats or on the sides.
    I was probably dreaming that someone found a way I didn’t think of.
    I am thinking between the seats, but behind the seats. Then put a small console in for a coffee cup to hide it so it doesn’t look so out of place. Then when I need it, lift the lid, I set the brake and go. However I was hoping there were other options.
    Thanks for the help however

6. Depending on your seat location/adjustment (front-to-back) you may have space to mount the lever side to side (use one of the low profile levers) with a shielded cable running to an anchor point in the center, parallel to the drive shaft

Jokester likes this.
  7. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Yep, good idea! That’s about where I headed now. The seats are very, very close together. And there right against the doors left and right. However I think in the center but directly behind the seat may be an option. I am thinking of putting a cover on it, and maybe a cup holder. Then when I need to set the brake I open the box, Set the brake and close the lid. May sound “ wonky” but I am at my end trying to put 10 lbs. in a 2lb. Package. Plus there isn’t much made for this car unlike the 34 Chevy.
    Thanks for the ideas!

8. If space is tight , I know it’s not traditional, but what about an electric brake actuator ? Or linear actuator to apply the parking brakes ?

just a switch in the cab you could hide anywhere at that point .

9. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

For our 34 Master build, we went the "non traditional" way and fitted an electric brake actuator , with the "push button" to be placed away out of sight in the cabin, but easily accessable. Actuator is on chassis, under the floor so its out of sight.

Will try and find a photo or two.

I figure if you have cup holders, then a button for the e brake will not offend you.

'34 Ratrod and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

It would be neat if you were able to make a mounting point for the original style brake lever, on the new shifter mount. Chevy used a brake lever similar to this for years in trucks, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some parts to work with.

The idea of mounting a small floor mount handle crosswise, in front of the seat, would be my next choice.

If you make it accessible, it could even work as an emergency brake. Just in case you need it. I put one in all my cars

1934-chevrolet-master-six-sedan.jpg

11. squirrel

squirrel

another idea is the style used on the 39 chevy cars, it fits up under the dash, I think it mounts to a bracket on the side of the body. It's been a while since I had one. But I did get mine working, with a later rear, when I had my 39.

60-66 chevy trucks had a similar one, which actuated a cable, although it was mounted with the lever horizontal instead of vertical.

39 chevy.jpg

tb33anda3rd, 41 GMC K-18 and 6inarow like this.
  12. Canuck

Canuck

47-48 Chevy car E-brake lever, mounted in a Model A. If it fits in a Model A there would be plenty of room in a 34 Chevy. Actually the dash installed in the car is a 34 Master dash.

Cable layout was modelled after my 64 Malibu so all the ratios and layout worked fine.

upload_2021-6-17_21-30-54.png

Can just see lever (gray) just below the starter button beside the tach. (PS have a couple of dash trim pieces, chrome isn't great but are complete and not broken)
    upload_2021-6-17_22-8-15.png

Was going to use the mechanism out of a Ford, but it was too long front to back, just didn't work out. the black steel is the mounting bracket, the bar riveted to the door post is Model A.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    tb33anda3rd, Just Gary and squirrel like this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Lokar make an e brake handle that mounts on the transmission mount for the floor shifter. Maybe that would work?

squirrel likes this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

15. 4F5DC8B8-4E66-440C-9E5B-4DEFDF249141.jpeg

You can also check out forklifts and heavy equipment.

lots of examples of short handles that can be mounted in a bunch of different configurations.

look at older (90’s) and back clark hyster Yale etc.

16. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I looked at those 1st. However about $400-500 after you get mounts, and other parts. My wife has already clamped down on spending after 3 years of constant cash outlays on this hot rod so I am back to innovation over spending

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

1949 to somewhere in the 60's Buick used foot operated E Brakes that mounted on the left kick panel. Might work for you.

18. here is my 33 chevy with oe dash. pull hand brake from a 50's chevy anchored to the floor and dash. DSCF4163.JPG

wood remover likes this.
  19. Joe H

Joe H

IMG_1783.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1251.jpg
    '37 Chevrolet truck with factory park brake mounted to Lokar shifter mount.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    F-ONE, David Gersic and squirrel like this.