Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 338ci Y-Block Wrapped Up in '30 Model A Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Awesome man. Wished I was in Famoso!!

2. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

McTim, nice video. Will you be able to make it to the West Coast Y-Block Shootout on June 15th at Barona?
    John Hildebrand

3. John, I'm sure gonna try this year. :)

4. jhildebr

jhildebr
    from San Diego

McTIm,
    Good! There is free camping at the track and we are trying to set up a discount at a hotel near the track. If you will be coming, I'll send you the racer info form.
    Joohn

5. skipcody

skipcody

do you have any 312 blocks for sale or know where I can get one. thanks skip my e-mai is [email protected]

6. Go to the classifieds at y-blocksforever.com and ask there. Someone will find on for you. ;)

7. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

292's and 312's are all pretty much machined from the same block castings. The differences are in the final maching. The 312 block is machined with a 0.050 overbore for a finished bore of 3.80. The 312 block gets machined for larger main bearings (2.625 vs. 2.50) without an increase in main bolt spacing. This results in the block cracking in the main cap seats which many 312 blocks display. I think the folks building hot y-blocks (not me) recommend using a 292 block bored as required and cutting the 312 mains down to 2.500. This, along with turning the rod journals down to 2.1 or 2.0 for Chevy rods, can salvage a crank that has been turned the limit. Both blocks should have the same overbore potential. Good luck.

8. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Tim- I love your sedan. I was envisioning a similar paint scheme on my T bucket (Kewanee Green), but I'm really liking the darker color on the belt line. What's the name of that color? Thanks,

9. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Here's a 312 block on the auction site:

10. Elkpoint Green, also a stock 1930 Ford color. ;)

11. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Excellent. Thank you!

12. Top's on! What do ya think? Car is very close to done. Well, sort of. Are they ever really "done"? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. Love the car. It is great to see you using a Model A grill shell on a Model A and I really like seeing a Ford in a Ford. Two thumbs up.

Here's a website you may or may not be interested in.

http://www.slidingragtops.com/

14. Damn your car looks and sounds so SWEET

15. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Ya know Tim, I am getting a little tired of your hot rod work ethic. In the last 4 years you have built 3 absolutely bitchin cars, Elwood, Jake, and the Tudor. In the same time I have pulled most of the studs from the same flathead block and my frame is still sitting on the floor. One of us is going about this wrong. I am beginning to wonder if it is me. Really nice car Tim.

Mike.

16. Thanks guys, it's all the positive comments that drive me.

Mike, I'm sure you'll get your's done one day and it will be bitchin'. ;)

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like it a lot Tim. I'm still jealous :D I hope to start in on my RPU again soon, I'm feeling better all the time.

It's amazing how much brain surgery can slow you down, and also how slow recovery can be.

However, I am back to my regular job full time and taking a day at a time.

One day I will get mine done too :)

18. Thanks Larry! Take care of yourself and get better, the car will get done. ;)

Here's a few photos of the top and the car out in the open. Finally got some rain hear to clear all the dirt out of the air. Not enough though, it's gonna take a lot more to get us out of trouble. Oh well still having a good time with my Sedan. :D

[​IMG]

You can see how the wood cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

Also added my firewall tags. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  19. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Beautiful..........

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Such a nice car -- It turned out great and sounds mean, too! Good to see you at the GNRS last weekend, even if it was just a short visit. See you at Bonneville in August with some Old Style :)

Malcolm

21. Thanks Nick! Good to see you too! I missed a lot of people, even at the so called "meet and greet" all I saw was Todd and Eric. Oh well, at least I had a nice long chat about Y-Blocks with this ol' guy. :D

[​IMG]
    Tim McMaster

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  22. Okay Tim, don't need to see it in person now that you posted additional pics. The top is a knock out! Thumbs up my friend.

23. Top looks tops!

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Now you just need a big piece of green acrylic for the skylight when the weather gets cold.

25. daddio211

daddio211

26. Car looks and sounds awesome!! Question, where did you get your carpet from? I want to use that type of carpet for my Model A also. Thanks Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Tim - stupid question. How did you get the "Isky Cams" firewall tag? Was that an old cam tag or do they still supply that with cam purchase? That looks so cool. I noticed it the other day, and after you posted the pic with the man himself, I gotta know! Thanks,

28. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Your build should convince a lot of folks that a y-block is a good hot rod engine. It looks great , and sounds fantastic.