Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Hemi (w/ 50K watt generator) on Craig's list

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shmoozo, May 22, 2010.

1. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I spotted this on Craig's list in Chester, Massachusetts, and thought I ought to pass it along.

1956 Hemi 331 (generator) - $2500 (Chester)

There are images of the engine/generator combo on the web page linked above.

By the way, I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Holy cow that's expensive for a 331! What's a chrome moly motor?

3. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I believe that means that the motor is cast with a higher degree of chrome-moly in the casting mix, thus making it more resistant to overheating and subsiquent cracks. Blocks that sit stationary don't have the advantage of rushing air passing through the motor such as a car block would while traveling down the highway. That is at least my understanding.

4. Industrial blocks had a higher nickel content, not chrome moly.

5. 73RR

73RR

More urban hype..
    If anyone has any documentation related to nickle content I'm sure it would be well received by many.....

The chrome moly motor is a load of nonsense, akin to muffler bearings..

6. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Nickel, chrome-moly, I'm no metalergist, so its all the same to me. my point was that the blocks are more resistant to cracks caused by overheating. But, thank you for the correction. Now I know.:)

7. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Not urban hype. I looked at a GMC 302 that came from a military truck and it was cast with higher nickel content as per government contract prerequisits.

So take your muffler bearings and stick 'em.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

JMO..thats a bit steep for that..because we all know that the Gen set will just be shot to the curb,and in place will be a trans, and i dont think a 331 is worth that much, at least not to me

"hasent ran in 5 years" is like.."ran when parked"

and who's to say that the hour meter isnt broken and thats why the hours are low?

oh hell im just talking myself out of it..you know

9. AG F/C

AG F/C

Heavy duty industrial enines were regularly cast of "high nickle" iron to improve hardness and durability of the bores. International Harvester and a few others very often did this but Chrysler? Even the marine Sea-V's of that period were nothing more than car long blocks and standard production iron off of the same casting lines.

A special casting alloy would price them right out of the game IMO.

10. 61falcon

61falcon

why did the mexican ford 302 blocks have a high nickle content? they werent performance engines or truck engines.

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I wouldn't know, myself, but don't forget that it does come with that 50KW generator. You could easily power an entire house or small shop off that.

But, yeah, I understand that the folks here are mostly only interested in the engine.

12. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

they used to hook those old hemis up to air raid sirens, thats what powered them. cool as hell!!

13. 73RR

73RR

Pay attention girlie man, we were discussing MOPARS, not Jimmies.

14. you pay attention genius..... Michelle is a FEMALE.

15. George

George

Have heard of Mil Spec Chevys having extra thick Cyl walls, but, like 73RR said, we're talking Hemis here. W/O documentation proving otherwise, all blocks types & all 3 foundries used the same specs for casting blocks.

16. 73RR

73RR

"So take your muffler bearings and stick 'em" doesn't come across as very feminine in a male dominated forum....and if we only go by screen names then you are likely homeless and probably bare footed by now...I will assume that hambers are predominately male regardless of their 'handle' unless they make it known otherwise.

Now go back to the original discussion.

.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

17. I don't know any MALES named MICHELLE! Maybe you do.;)....

I think there are a lot more females here than you give credit. ....They are playing in a male dominated craft. You kinda gotta toughen up to play with the boys, am I right? Just cuz you got your feathers ruffled by a little friendly ball busting doesn't mean you need to get your panties in a wad...

Did you ever stop to think that someones handle might mean something? Like for instance, to me, mine means I didn't have a HAMB worthy car when I joined and would have to hitch hike to the hot rod shows...And your right I have been homeless before. Very astute of you....I have learned to wear the soles out on my shoes. My frugality has gotten me far in life. So I am proud of it. You'll never know riches if you haven't scraped the bottom of the barrel.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

I say that statement needs some documentation. If it's true I'll eat crow right here :D

19. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Could be French.

20. I know more girls that like hot rods than french men.;)

21. JaBoney

JaBoney

I scooped up a 354 Industrial Hemi on Craigs list too! Paid only $300 for it so he must be playing with himself he thinks he can get $2500.

22. I believe all GMC blocks from that era were cast with a higher Ni content than Chevy blocks, also forged cranks and more main bearings. This made for some long lasting engines.

23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Oh! Well, the guy I was looking at buying the block from told me that it was only the militri trucks that had the high nickel content. It was supposed to be a mititary block, because, it had no dipstick hole where one should have been and rather, it had an elongated dip stick tube off the side of the oil pan. It had some other identifying features that propossed it to be military, but, I can't remember what they where now. Sufice to say, the seller told me about the higher nickel content and the coralation to military specs. But, what do I know? I was taking it on faith.:eek:

24. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I just wanted a hopped up jimmy for my "Betty Bomb" '48 Cheby.

25. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

It may have the kool valve covers that say "Industrial".

26. twofosho

twofosho

I've read that virtually all Chrysler blocks were/are cast with higher nickel content than their more pedestrian counterparts from Ford and Chevrolet. I believe this was/is true of most other higher end makes like Cadillac too. It would make sense that someone catering to the well healed buyer would want the longevity of their product to stand out from their competition by using blocks cast from a more durable alloy. Probably the same reason most or all Chrysler crankshafts were forged up until about 1971 or 2.

27. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Buy it, pull the Hemi, replace it with a junkyard 350 runner and re-sell you'll probably make a small profit.
    Scotty.

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm back with the GMC nickel content issue.There is nothing to support the fact Military 302 used a different cast iron .The military block has a few casting differences,one being no mechanical fuel pump opening. Here's a little history.........
    "The 302 was designed for the military first and then "released" for civilian use. Advertisements and literature state this.

Why would GM cheapen things when the 302 was still expected and advertised to perform at a the military service level?"
    A guy here mentions the GMC had a forged crank and more main bearings than a Chevy 6.Both had 4 main bearings and all 216,235.261 Chevys had forged crankshafts.

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Well, that is good to know. And now I do. Boy, do wish I had bought that motor for my bomb.

30. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

That's good to know too.:)