Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Hemi Timing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36DodgeRam, Jun 1, 2011.

1. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I've finally got this 331 Hemi in my '36 pickup on the road, doing "test drives". I was playing with the timing, and it seems I have a lot of total advance. Set the timing at 10BTDC at idle with the vac advance unplugged. Timing goes to 16BTDC when vac advance is plugged in. When I rev it up good it shows 50BTDC on my new damper ! I'm used to Chevy's, never seen that much advance. Is this too much? Engine is fresh, has 8.5 Egge pistons and mild PAW cam. Thanks!

2. 50-55 with the vacuum advance plugged in is about right. What you would be more concerned with is total WITHOUT Vacuum advance, as this what will do damge. Hemis have a very efficient chamber, so i would think 32-34 total would be good and shouldn't detonate.

3. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Thanks ajmopar!

4. kc400

kc400
    from New York

I just timed mine in last week and it is also at 10 BTDC at an idle with no vac advance hooked up.

5. jbtine

jbtine

Do you have that vacuum advance hooked to manifold vacuum or venturi vacuum? I am running a small block mopar distributor hooked to venturi vacuum with rochester 3 deuce setup on my 341 Desoto hemi.

6. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

I just checked my timing on thrusday and set it to 32 degrees total at 3 grand. I'm going to bump it it up in two degree increments until it feels right (going of the seat of my pants). I have the stock dizzy with a pretronix in it also set the plugs to .45 gap. Good luck man, post some video of it running.