Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Hemi install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBYBMR, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I'm putting a 52 331 in my Model A. Those of you that have installed the extended block - - did you support the rear of the engine? I'm using a Hot Heads adapter and a muncie 4-speed. Is it ok to hang the engine on the front motor mounts and the transmission mount?

2. 41hemi

41hemi

If you are using the original side mounts on the engine then using a crossmember under the trans is fine in my opinion. Those are the stock mounting locations for all the later hemis with automatics and stick transmissions. Nice car!!

3. dv8

dv8

Mine is just the engine mounts, and the tranny mount, just like most cars. It will be fine.

4. Just wondering, is a 392 physically any bigger than a 331? I ran across a guy last night at Sonic Cruise In that had a 33 Chrysler and he had a 383 Chevy in it but said he'd like to have a 331 hemi. I asked about a 392 and he said it would be too big. ??????

5. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

331 and 354 have a shorter deck height. intakes won't interchange wit 392.

6. 73RR

73RR

Not so fast...Intakes do interchange. Yes, the deck height is different, but Chrysler changed the intake port location on the 392 head and re-used the 354 intake(with minor mods). The big differences is a wet system 51-54 and 55-58 is dry (no t-stat). The other big change is the port size between 53 and 54.

As for size, the 392 is about ½" wider than the 331-354, due to deck height change.

All of this has been covered many times. Please read through Scooters tech series.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey BBYBMR...if you can get side mount(engine) mounts, then that's the way to go. front engine with only trans. mounts are nowhere near as strong. do yourself a favor and do the job right! your new friend in texas...call me POP...or the old FART!

8. George

George

Odd how drag racers use front plates to keep from ripping the ears out of the block....

9. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

...if you can get side mount(engine) mounts, then that's the way to go.

i'm using the stock engine mounts - and building adapters to weld to the frame - it was set up for a sbc, so I'll be removing those mounts.