Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 Hemi head crack

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Viggo Holt, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Viggo Holt

Viggo Holt

Anyone with insight in the 331 hemi heads? From a 54' Chrysler, the crack around the spark plug casting seems to have been there for a while. I have not added water or tried to start so not sure what effect that crack will have.

Attached Files:

2. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A hard seat probably would take care of the valve seat but it doesn't look like you could sew the remaining crack all the way to the end.

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Another crack over near the valve spring, might be past its use by date.

Johnny Gee and Hnstray like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That isn’t a valve seat. It is the beveled end of the spark plug recess bore.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree, it appears to me the crack goes almost halfway around the bore and continues both left and right of it.

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Not very neat but I don’t think you’ll save this one.

Attached Files:

H380 likes this.
  7. Looks like a Freeze brake. No matter how you fix it the head needs to come off. Lift the head, cap all but one water port and poor water in the last open one. That's going to answer a lot. Prior to lifting the head off remove the Valley cover and look behind the push rods for more cracks.

8. dwollam

dwollam

Where are you located? I think I might have a single '54 head assuming the pair I plan to use check out okay. I am pretty sure they are good. What is the casting number on your head(s)?

Dave

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the casting number?

10. That's not worth fixing
    I'd also be very suspect of the block it was on as it looks like freeze damage.
    That head crack means the system was full of its freeze damage.

A jump up to 55 heads will give you water outlet ports. The 55 heads sought after for their better flow,,,, the 54 heads have the same internal design and flow sans the water outlet.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  11. 73RR

73RR

You now have a large paper weight....and yes, it is freeze damage.
    On a 54 block you are better off to stay with 54 heads. You could use later heads but to no real advantage and the disadvantage will be having the 'end ports' sticking out with no purpose.

Hombre likes this.
  12. I suppose the switch to later heads depends much on what intake manifold you'd like to run.

13. Viggo Holt

Viggo Holt

Thanks for all feedbacks, I found a rebuilt set on ebay for 499. Those suppose to be 51-53 heads, any issues with using them on the 54'?. I need to pull the engine anyway, just hope that the engine block are still alive.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you want the earlier heads. The '54's were a big improvement. I'd pursue the guy who may have a spare '54 head.