Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Cadillac Ignition Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ownerizer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

I have a 1953 Series 62 with a 331. I finally got the new carb on and would like to go ahead and replace the ancient coil and points system. I'm thinking about going with a Pertronix Electronic Ignitor, however, I will also need to replace the coil (it's old and cracked and scary looking). Will the new coil need to have an external "ballast" resistor equipped, same as the old, or will it "self-regulate" internally, with the Pertronix Ignitor?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Depends on the coil. If you get the internal resistance coil then no. If you use an original type coil then yes.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

stick with the points system... pertronix is crap, and when they go out, there is no fixing them on the side of the road...

4. wow! ...did someone wake up this morning and drink a big ole' bottle of "hate o rade "

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

He's just relaying his experience. Some guys get the shaft with the system, others have em working for years.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I will say that if you had an extra ignitor you could change it out pretty easily..

7. You could also slide the points right back in without any issues were you to ever have a failure.

As for the origianl question, instead of the comment by Mr. Grumpy, if you buy the correct Pertronix coil with the unit that will dictate what to use ballast resistor wise and the Pertronix Coil will work should you ever need to use the points for an emergency

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

respectfully disagree. 10 years and never a hint of a problem. I'll use it in the next one too.

9. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Got one in my 331. No problems for over 5 years. I like 'em.

10. i think someone needs a hug.....;)

11. Well he didn't drink the whole bottle. ;)

12. ownerizer

ownerizer
    from Parker, Co

Thanks for everyone's input. To expedite the process, I bought a replacement cheapy coil made for an external ballast resistor, and a new resistor, just to get the car to run. The Pertronix Ignitor will be my next move!

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

53 had 6 volt system so yes you will need a new coil if you go 12 volt, and I think pertronix only makes 12 volt now.

14. No, we offer 6 and 12v systems

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm dredging the memory banks here, but wasn't 53 the first year of 12v in cads?

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Buick went 12 volt that year.

17. fraktv

fraktv

Put a Pertronix Electronic Ignitor in my 50 Cadillac. Been running strong with zero issues for 7 years now.

18. I have used these units in my cars and on the dyno as well with zero issues. That being said, I would highly recommend stepping up slightly to the Igniter II, and the appropriate .6 OHM coil.

Many Igniter I failures are from the ignition or 12 volts inadvertently left on and then the unit will self destruct. The II will not do that to you.

Of course, also carry the points, condenser, and appropriate coil for back up if you like, TR