Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 cadillac external oil line location HELP

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by boo, Nov 18, 2020.

1. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

I just got my 1955 331 cad. engine from builder. need help on where the oil lines go??? can a screw on filter be used instead of the can filter. what is the plug low on rear of pass side?? other plugs? i have a lot of oil lines that were with the eng when i got it. it is basicly rebuilt stock, just an alternator where the ps pump & filter were. going in my 1959 hi school 34 rdst build. all help apreciated.......

2. pics would be helpful as always

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=107455.0
    By-pass and not full flow like a modern engine, the supply goes into the top of the canister and returns out the bottom and dumps back to the engine through the oil filler and fuel pump mount housing. It appears that these by-pass filters were optional (Add-on) equipment and not part of the engines oiling system. The engine doesn't care whether it's fitted or not. On cars without the filter, the engine supply and return fittings were plugged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cadillac-331-oil-lines.1143026/

5. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

kadillackid, warbird1 and winduptoy like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Any filter is better than no filter, bypass filters were used for many years and they have the advantage that they filter finer particles than a full flow. They filter all the oil, just not all at once.
    If you don't like the stock filter, you can buy a remote filter adapter for a spin on filter that bolts to the firewall or wherever you like. With rubber lines to the engine. Be sure to use the correct, fine, bypass type filter.
    Incidentally, late model cars have gone back to the cartridge type filter. But now they are full flow.