Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkcad, Jul 28, 2006.

1. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

hey guys ive got a 331 in my 49 caddy i want to rebuild. what problems do these engines have & are there any extra part to add horsepower & dress it up ? i dont know anything about this motor at all its in my parts car & has been sitting for about 6 years or so but its all there including the air cleaner. any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    j.t.

2. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Great, great motor- stout, well engineered, and able to handle punishment. Parts cost way more than a small block, but being cool always has its price-
    There are new aluminum valve covers and valley pans being made, and speed parts are plentiful if your looking for them. Edelbrock made 3x2 and 4x2. Edmunds and Offy made 2x2, Detroit Racing made 2x4. You can also pick up ElDorado tri powers manifolds (cast iron, 4 bolt)

Early 49's have center bolt valve covers = Like an Olds

Biggest changes are distributors year to year, exhaust ports/ heads, and the bell housing was removed in 55.

PARTY!!

jay

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you want to bolt a standard transmission behind it, at least there are more flywheels and adapters still out there for the '49-'54 blocks than there are for '55-'62 engines. The early Olds Rocket flywheels will work on your engine.

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Heathen-

When I was buying 331 Cad stuff for my car on Ebay 3 or 4 years ago, you were always the other guy out there bidding on it! =-)

jay

5. Hyfire

Hyfire

Greetings...

They are pretty solid, however the 1949s had some overheating problems from the factory. Cadillac wasnt able to fix it until the 1951s came out.
    The early motors also have a rope seal in back... BIG pain in the ass. Whoever does the rebuild, make sure it is right. I think some people have tried rubber but dont know for sure the outcome.

Speed parts... tons. Just be prepared to pay. $$$. I have found the Hemi stuff I am buying now is cheaper than the caddy stuff. I have had 5 Caddy motors and have been pretty happy.. all have ranged from 1950-1957.

Good luck...
    Hyfire

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, it's a sort of fifty vultures and one dead prairie dog world on that sort of stuff anymore, isn't it? I've pretty much got what I need for my 331 now, although I would like to find a set of Edelbrock valve covers for less than the national debt one of these days.

7. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

it has the original tranny still attached, is it costly to have it rebuilt ? what would i look to pay just to have it rebuilt to stock specs( the motor)? i also have 2 472s i can get too would that be a better way to go? i wanna put a caddy motor in it & not just toss in a 350
    thanks
    j.t.

8. El Bombero

El Bombero

Hyfire, I have a 52 Cad engine. Do you know about any adaptors to put a four speed behind it?

Mike

9. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

bump...... & im asking the same question again!!!!!!! lol sorry

how much would it cost to rebuild the 331??

metro codes has gotten me b4 i can get this motor out of the car & it has to be moved by march 27.its a stock 49 331 all original & its got me thinkin about goin the easy way & tossin in a 350 ? any help ??? please

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/whitewall84/pic0009.jpg