Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 cad to 48 ford trans questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, May 28, 2014.

1. i can't seem to find the search option on the new hamb so i will take links or what ever you have.thank you.

so i am looking to help a buddy put a 331 cad in a 48 ford car. i have found the trans adaptor but wha i can't find is what flywheel do i need and what motor mounts?

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You need a 49-54 Cad. or Olds. stick shift flywheel or an aftermarket aluminum one. Someone on the Hamb still makes that stuff. You can make motor mounts if you can't find old aftermarket ones. Your 6V starter will work just fine with 12V.

3. steel rebel thanks man! do you mean some one on the hamb makes the flywheel?

4. I believe Wilcap still makes a flywheel for this set up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 1941coupe

1941coupe

check ebay a guy there sells repro hurst mounts for that I bought repro hurst olds mounts from him and there very well made

6. 42merc

42merc

Read the HAMB parts for sale, Olds flywheel for sale, Today.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remember to think through your pressure plate needs. Early Ford trans has a large input shaft and throwout collar and uses plates with shorter than usual fingers to fit the large diameter throwout bearing.
    I do not know my Cad/Olds stuff very well, but from memory their early OHV V8 cars used an 11" Long, so you could just replace the Olds/Cad 11" pressure plate with Ford truck 11". Somebody on here will quickly blast that if I'm wrong! There was an Olds 303/324 in my tudor long ago, and I think that's what was in there.

8. F&J

F&J

Make sure that the Olds flywheel is the smaller one that came on the 303 motors from 50-53. You cannot use the later larger tooth count 54-up Olds wheel because your Cadillac starter would not fit to it.

on what Bruce said; I never have tried to use a Ford truck pressure plate, because I found that my stock Olds 303/324 plate does fit to the stock Ford big TOB.

As I recall, I used a clutch disc from a 50 or 51 Merc because it is a larger diameter than the stock Ford disc, and that Olds pressure plate AND wheel, can accept 10 or 10-5 or 11 inch discs. I just don't recall what the Merc diameter was. I am sure I got the Merc tip from one of Bruces old posts on perhaps a sbc to Ford swap??? I think he would know.

9. great info please keep it coming!

10. 42merc

42merc

Early & late Old's & Cad flywheels are the same diameter, Tooth count is different.
    145 teeth early, 176 teeth late.
    Early would be '49 to '53. '53 used a 12 volt starter.
    Late would be '54 to '60s.
    '57 & later Olds used an unbalanced flywheel.
    '49 thru '56 Olds wheels can be used on Cadillacs.
    Use an eleven inch Ford truck pressure plate & disc, not sure on how late, but I know thru '48 will work. Fort Wayne clutch can help you.
    '49-'51 Mercury discs are 10". Merc pressure plates are B&B, different bolt pattern.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  11. 1941coupe

1941coupe

if its he same as early olds you will need the 145 tooth flywheel a 10 or 10.5 borg beck 50 merc clutch set up as the ford long clutch may rub on the trans bell as mine did, the stock 48 ford throw out bearing works

12. F&J

F&J

QUOTE:'49-'51 Mercury discs are 10". Merc pressure plates are B&B, different bolt pattern.

I used what I had, or got dirt cheap to do a 303 Olds into a 40 coupe with stock column shift trans.

I found the Merc disc with only 1000 miles use, at a swap, for 5 bucks. The guy swapped to a T5 in his Merc, so he could not reuse the new Merc disc that he recently installed.

I figure that a 11 clutch disc is not really needed with the fragile 40 trans and rear. I already had the std shift 1953 Olds motor with f'wheel and clutch cover, so all I needed was a disc, and I also made an extended crank pilot bushing to make the Ford trans fit to the Olds (or Cad) crank.

13. F&J

F&J

I did do a install thread on putting the 303 into a 40. It should still show the pics as thumbnails since the hamb was upgraded?

Anyways, at least it shows some of what you will be doing, as the Cad motor is similar. I may have listed the Merc clutch disc size wrong in that thread, not sure.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/olds-rocket-303-into-a-40-ford-coupe-build-thread.642322/

and yes, there was / is a guy on ebay repro'ing the Olds as well as Cad Hurst style mounts. I used a set of those Cad ones on a hambers 1954 Cad 331 in his coupe, and they are good quality, just like his Olds ones are.

When you buy the Ford rubber biscuits, beware that many cheapie places don't use the reinforcing metal girdle in the rubber. Those cheapies will flatten out like a pancake in a few weeks. Spadaro and Drake do have the good ones, not sure what other places have them.

14. I think I have a 145 flywheel and a stock 303 pressure plate that I can let go if you would be interested. PM me if interested and I will go look in the shop.

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

This is what you need looks like. I just went to the local auto supply and asked for a Ford t DSCN2768.jpg DSCN2797.jpg DSCN2768.jpg DSCN2797.jpg DSCN2768.jpg DSCN2797.jpg ruck eleven inch clutch and pressure plate. I think these are from a '70s model.

16. 42merc

42merc

That trans isn't going to pull up to the adapter without notching the case & using socket head bolts.
    That would be on the two top bolts.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You are right I can't remember if I notched the tranny. or used allen head screws on the plate.

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Another question for this thread: I am bolting a 39 Ford trans to a 53 Cadillac 331 engine. I have an 11 inch Scheiffer pressure plate. I also have a couple of 10 inch clutch disks that fit the Ford trans. Can I use a 10 inch disc with the larger pressure plate, or should I find an 11 inch disk? Any input is greatly appreciated!

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

So I picked up an 11 inch disc to go with the pressure plate. Now I don't have to wonder if it will work.

20. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

11 inch is the way for this.

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

yes, Jared, you are right. How is the 34 coupe coming along? Haven't seen any updates for awhile it seems.
    Steve

22. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hi Steve, every now and then I find a part.lol Still at it and hope to add some more pics soon

rileyrecords25 likes this.
  23. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

this engine / trans combo should be lots of fun to drive!

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't drive it looking for 'too much fun', the fix won't be very much fun at all!
    But it feels wonderful, all that smooth big engine torque, just let clutch out gently...tension the driveline...then 'Easy does it'... otherwise, "BANG!" 'Aw, heck...but did you guys see that strip of rubber?' Drive home in high...

My '40 Coupe had a 324 Olds, but the flywheel had been drilled for B&B, and it had a '50 Merc 10" clutch AND pressure plate.
    The Chevy swaps we did (SBC to early Ford tranny) always took the Merc type B&B cover, as the Chevy flywheel had that drilling.

25. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

thanks for the warning Mike! we know it's not a Chevy Camaro lol