Register now to get rid of these ads!

'33 willys what headlite buckets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

I got a fiberglas nose on my sedan. no headlite buckets. I got the car with new VW headlites and rims. I need buckets. all help welcome. I know VW?

2. TERPU

TERPU

Leave the VW pieces on there until you find the real deal. VW's are acceptable for a Glass front car of the Gasser+ era. I'm assuming you got '68 and later bug stuff? go find some junk fenders and rob the VW buckets out of 'em. '68-'74 should all work.

Tim

3. jan bogert

jan bogert

sounds good I thought the buckets on the bug were part of the fender? if there not I guess I could glass them on the inside of the fenders. makes sence.

4. jan bogert

jan bogert

OUCH, I called and got the price for both headlite buckets,rims, halogen. my my, 605 for the pair. complete plus shipping. I guess that's the price for having a willys. yea well I need them. what r u going to do, but buy them.

5. 33HEMI

33HEMI

6. jan bogert

jan bogert

'33 hemi, that's were I got the price from. that's for everything thou. so i'll buy them I need them. just thought there was another place out there.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

8. jan bogert

jan bogert

1971BB, I have the brand new pair on ebay. there too small they fall thru the hole opening. and the new headlite rim, doen't cover the hole at the botton. so I need the ones W.R.P.sells. mine are BRAND NEW AND DON'T FIT. TOO SMALL.

9. rfraze

rfraze

You will be happier with the proper bucket, lense, and trim ring from Willys Replacement Parts. Quality. Another factor is the FLAT shape of the front of the Willys fender. The Willys lense was flat with a flat trim ring. Even if you put flat bulbs in the VW buckets, the trim sticks out from the front of the fender.
    The VW parts shown above attach to a bucket that is mounted in a VW fender. They must be removed from the fender and pushed thru the opening in the Willys fender before the headlight mount and adjuster are screwed into the bucket. Last on is the trim which has a tab on top and a long screw thru the bottom screwing in to the bucket.
    I had these parts in my '33 before the far superior parts from Nordahl, should anyone need pics. I also found some lenses printed to "look like" headlights yesterday. I believe these were intended for race cars.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      464.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      301.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  10. rfraze

rfraze

Here are buckets and headlight mount assemblies minus trim ring. The bucket was removed from a VW fender. They have a pretty cool rubber tube for wires that runs from inner fender to headlight bucket and a really cool rubber drain dealy. Fourth pic shows trim on VW fender. I will be looking for a pic of my '33 when it had VW lights and painted trim rings.
    I also have a set of '48 Ford buckets and trim rings that I thought about using, that I found in the same box. Parts is parts.
    Next, I will find and photograph stock Willys headlight buckets and trim, which I believe to be the same as '35-6.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      481.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      504.8 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      467.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      494.9 KB
      Views:
  11. jan bogert

jan bogert

rtraze, I have the 4th pic. set-up but I want the good ones. after all its a willys and a '33 sedan at that more rare then the other willys.

12. rfraze

rfraze

Found a pic of my Willys at the first Hot Rod Reunion parked next to Ted Radoumis' Energizer p/u pre restoration. This is a pretty good shot of what VW headlights look like on a 33 or 4 Willys. I do remember the light from these being very good and that you could see with both low or hi beams, which I controlled with a VW switching (or latching) headlight relay. I chose to paint trim rings to help them blend in somewhat.

Jan, I am not sure about the numbers, but have never considered sedans more rare than coupes of these two years.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      151.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Hemiaaron

Hemiaaron

Hey Rob,

Aaron Here. Have not talked to you in a while. How are you doing.

14. rfraze

rfraze

Great. Private Message sent.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  15. rfraze

rfraze

Found this pic of a car. which I think was later owned by Tim Vick, showing VW lights with chrome rings.

Attached Files:

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

I have those vw set-up. i'm going to go with the willys replacement ones. flush mount. thanks. I recently spoke to Vinnie at willy works, he's going to make a tilt nose for me with the hinges built in.

17. rfraze

rfraze

Good choice Bogart. Say HI to the Nordahls for me when you order those lights.