Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 33 Tudor from a river bank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rust, Nov 23, 2014.

1. How do you title something like that? I doubt Virginia would allow something like that to be titled, unfortunately.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. It goes by the number on the chassis. I have a bill of sale for the frame I will be using.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Wow what an awesome find! I'm surprised at how decent it looks for being stuck down there by the river bank.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. looks like howard,s knee isn't bothering him to bad. say hi to him for me. nice score.
    bruce

5. 2935ford

2935ford

WOW! Guys, I'm impressed with your tenacity and zeal for going after that!
    Good work.....all the best with the build.

6. nha

nha

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a great story with a pretty good ending. That body looks as good as the Model A body I paid real money for a couple of years ago.

8. Nice score and great story to tell in the future. I've seen people pay good money for stuff that looked worse!

9. agshelby

agshelby

Appears that river bank mud is more kind than road salt

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah, I was thinking that there whole upper have would look like lace but wow. What really impressed me was the right side cowl light with the chrome ring still there!

11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Unreal how good a shape the old girl is in! Nice!! (you sure you didn't bury it there a couple of weeks ago????) just kidding-don't shoot!

12. Holy shit man! that 33 is crazy decent condition for being buried! wow!
    I like the willys cab too ! I have one here getting whacked.

13. booker512

booker512

Damn. Lol. Makes me want to start walking around the woods. Haha.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

great save !!... didn't expect so little rust seeing it buried like that

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thanks for taking us along, I wonder how many guys over the years knew about that but passed on fooling with it cause they thought it was too far gone.

16. I like the Willys. the yellow Ford, and the flat-fender. Nice work.

17. scotti32

scotti32

Wow, great find, and still in ok condition.

18. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Nice save, and I really enjoyed the pics and story.

19. froghawk

froghawk

Wow, truly astonishing how well that car has survived being buried for all these years! Great teamwork getting it out!

After all this time it's survived upside down in the mud it seems a shame somehow to cut it up as simply raw material for making a coupe (not that I don't love coupes). To straighten it out and make a cool traditional tudor hot rod sedan seems a better way to pay tribute to the luck, chemistry of the river mud, and the Car Gods that've gotten it this far in time.

By way of example here's a great '33 Tudor survivor that 31whitey posted back in '09. Early Olds-powered drag sedan... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1933-ford-drag-car-survivor.361971/

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Just thought of it but You need to have your buddies some cool shirts made that says.
    "I dig 33 fords" or "I dig old fords":cool: ya dig?

21. oneandgone

oneandgone

When do we get to see fresh pics of it home and cleaned up? So far I'm amazed at the condition. Amazing!

22. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I'm 63 and when I was 10 my then brother-in-law would come pick us up on Saturdays to search the country side for old car parts. This was a big contributor to the restoration of a 31 Ford Tudor. What memories. I wish next time you would take along some little boys. I love this story.

23. Amazing that stuff is still about - over here in the UK it's a very long time since I've seen a 1980's Ford in a breakers yard...

24. I will post some pictures of it cleaned up soon. I am re thinking the coupe idea, we will see. Thanks for all the great comments, I thought everyone here would enjoy this.

We did have a 16 year old with us. He had a good time. My son is ten and he comes along quite a bit.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. scotts52

scotts52

If someone is wanting to build a coupe outta one I'd trade you a cowl and floors plus misc pieces from a tudor I dug up that WAS rusted away. I'd love to build a tudor. Mine would save you the time of cutting everything up. :)

26. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

just look throught your pics again. look like a good time!!

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Wow I wonder how long it's been there? 1960s I'd guess but what amazing condition. I've aged worse and I've been kept in a warm house most of the time.
    Ed

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. wvenfield

wvenfield

When I was a kid someone had left a VW shell abandoned in the woods not far from the road. We drug it over to the bank and shoved it over. Not to stop erosion but simply for something to do.