Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 Plymouth redux...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator

Just ribbing Mike on the Vette stuff, I've actually owned a few my own self. What I found going to the shows etc. is that a lot of 'Crovette guys' are NOT 'car guys' (not all, but a LOT) Does that make any sense?

Anyways, back to the Plymouth, restocked my supplies and got the first coat of primer on the body blocked, skimmed w/ icing, blocked again and re-primed. I'll do that at LEAST once more then see how it looks, if it's straight enough I'll wet sand it w/ 400 and be ready for Mike.

Looks the same as before, but here it is pushed out so I can sweep up the shop. We moved last spring and now I have a small attached garage - my wife is a real trooper putting up with all the dust me and the dog track into the house.

[​IMG]

2. Your poor back must be in agony after all that sanding... you need to get rascal to help..LOL

3. Gator

Gator

Agony is an understatement - I've had to double down on my meds - ha ha. Thankfully I think I'll be done wet sanding it today. Brother Mike has also really stepped up and helped way more than I'd ever hoped. He'll say 'aw shucks, I didn't do nuthin' but it ain't so.

We're may even get it shot this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed.

And all Rascal does is lay around and bark like mad when I blow the dust off the car. :D

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

and that is the great thing about Mike!

5. Glad Mike is there to help..... He is the man....

6. Gator

Gator

Again, looks the same as before, but it's DONE and ready for it's new coat. If everything works out OK Mike's gonna come out and shoot it Sunday - keeping my fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sweet!

You better get him this Sunday, I'm sure that he will be busy next Sunday.

Rich

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so are you painting it that maroon from the 'vette?

9. Gator

Gator

Yeah, that's what we decided on, Mike's gonna squirt the main body for me tomorrow. ;)

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

can't wait to see it!

11. Gator

Gator

Big Mike came thru big time for me today, I made up an impromptu spray booth with some plastic sheeting, ropes, and some tape. Also sat up a couple of extra shop lights I had laying around so Mike could see what he was doing. Turned out very good and I'm really digging the color.

First coat;

[​IMG]

Mixing paint for the next coat;

[​IMG]

Looking good;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be installing all the interior, etc while Mike finds the time to paint all the other parts and pieces. Hoping to have it buttoned up before the end of February.

12. furyous

furyous
    from tennessee

looking great wish i could lay it down as slick as Mike

13. HAAAA! They don't call me Earl Schieb for nuthin'!! Thanks for the compliment, but a one-armed blind spider monkey with a long nap roller could get it slicker than me! Pics are deceiving....:eek:.....Thank heaven we know the black art of color sanding and how to ride the magic buffer :cool:

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looking very nice fellas

15. Gator

Gator

Yeah yeah, it looks like you put the paint on it with a chicken wing. :p

What'd I tell ya? "Aw Shucks - I didn't do nuthin..." All that work and the only payment he'll accept is an order of Chicken fajitas and a couple of Dos Equis. $800 for materials and $13 in labor - not bad - ha ha.

We are gonna cut and buff it, but we'd planned on that anyway. More pics later today out in the sunshine.

16. farmer12

farmer12

That color looks great! Nice work!

17. That color is great for that Ol Mopar.....

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

WHYYYYYYY.....................is that CRIMSON TIDE RED. ROLL TIDE..looking good guys.yall gonna break for the swap meet??

19. Gator

Gator

Oh yeah, you know Mike ain't gonna miss a swap meet. Be in my usual spot Bruce, holla...:D

20. Gator

Gator

More progress, ran up to Mike's Thursday and picked up the doors, deck lid, and rear fenders. Got the body wet sanded and the deck lid and supports installed. Also rewired and painted the dash and got all the glass installed. Next up to hang the doors and finish getting the interior in.

[​IMG]

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

daummmm looks good.see ya soon

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

lookin' very good.

23. Gator

Gator

The Nashville AACA swap meet took up most of my time this weekend, but I did manage to get the dash in and wired and get the doors hung.

I sanded down the lumpy urethane on the wood dash and painted it satin black. I plan on striping it to match the exterior. Here's a crappy Iphone pic :

[​IMG]

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

go Gator, GO!

25. Great color and Mike layed it down real nice. Wonder if Gator has any fingertips left after the prep work. Nice improvement of color going from red to maroon.

26. Hell yeah..........

27. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Saw the Plymouth today.. Gator has the doors and rear fenders hung. He was working on the running boards too. Man I really like the color.

28. Gator

Gator

Coming right along, like Rick said we got the doors and fenders hung today. Also wire brushed the bottom of the running boards and gave them a couple of heavy coats of Rustoleum. I wasn't too crazy about the original 'stalk' mounted tail lights, so I picked up a set of '39 Ford units. I know it's been done a million times, but I guess it's because they look so damn good -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice. that color is growing on me. if this turns out to be my dad's old car, i'm gonna have to get a second mortgage to buy it back once you decide to sell. it's coming out great.

30. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome coupe, great color.