Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 Plymouth PC Coupe project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33-Plymouth-PC, Dec 15, 2019.

1. j hansen

j hansen

Nice car. Subscribed.

2. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Where exactly are you finding the numbers, I have two 33” frames and one body. I can’t find numbers on anything. I’m a little concerned about starting my build, because I don’t have a tittle and live in Ca.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. 33-Plymouth-PC

33-Plymouth-PC

Driver’s side rail, just forward of where the rear leafs mount, directly under the rear edge of driver’s door. I’m told there’s supposed to be one on top of rail towards the front too, but I haven’t looked. Body number should be on a plate on passenger side door frame near upper hinge.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That four link rear is installed incorrectly.
    Why not ditch that junk and put parallel leaves back in?

oliver westlund likes this.
  5. 33-Plymouth-PC

33-Plymouth-PC

Doing that hasn’t been ruled out yet. Just haven’t had a chance to research that option as far as parts, costs, etc.

6. chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. 33-Plymouth-PC

33-Plymouth-PC

Looks like I have some mix matched parts. I think my splash aprons might be for a PD instead of a PC. I propped everything back up today, and zip tied everything together. Seems my aprons are a few inches too long on the front side where they meet the fender. C82A1F7C-AAD1-4C3D-82D5-48F1C3E297FD.jpeg

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. raymay

raymay

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. derbydad276

derbydad276

A 241 is a whole lot smaller than a 440 ... actually smaller than a LA engine
    Baby Hemi's are out there at reasonable prices ...

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I love these cars, a 33 Plymouth is on my "some day" list. Great body lines, love 'em. Not crazy about a 4-bar rear or IFS though. Do you plan on retaining all of that? I'm with the guy above me, a baby hemi or a poly, or even an A engine would be a better choice. Great looking car, but this one looks to be headed towards a street rod conclusion.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Had a 33 Plymouth PC coupe we raced back in High School. Ran B/C Class. Loved the body style. Good luck with your build. Unless your planning on burning the tires off the 33, I'd put that rebuilt 318 in the 33, and put that 440 in your Cuda & drive that baby.

13. 33-Plymouth-PC

33-Plymouth-PC

chryslerfan55 and raymay like this.
  14. DougMac

DougMac

15. DougMac

DougMac

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I believe I would look pretty hard at putting it back on the leaf springs if you can. The rear brackets are way too low for any thing that will be street driven, and it doesn't look like the brackets for the upper control arm are mounted correctly either, the upper control arms should be sitting at an angle when the tires on on the ground, and the ones on this car appear to be sitting too flat.
    I also agree the 440 would be a better fit in the Cuda then in the 33, I've seen a lot of these cars with big blocks, and they really don't work as well as a small block, too much nose weight. The baby Hemi would look great, but are pretty lacking in the power arena unless your strapping a blower on top of it. A good 318 would whip a 241 in any form, short of a blower on top of it, in the power game.
    Then again, its your car, not mine. Its good to see it being built all Mopar. Gene

17. 33rod

33rod

Good lookin project ! Rarely see plymouth or dodge. I have a 33 plymouth 2dr sedan great lookin cars. Parts are pretty hard to find at reasonable prices. I agree with others to stick with leaf springs. Mine are leaf with air shocks and it rides comfortably. Keep us updated.

Attached Files:

18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This makes me want to pull out our 31 Sedan from project limbo,,
    It is slated for an early 383, but not sure about four speed or auto.
    I love the oval rear windows

19. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome looking project. Keep the info. And pics coming.

loudbang likes this.
  20. WC Durant

WC Durant

I'm building a 34 Plymouth coupe with my dad. We're putting a 360 in it and hope to run hood sides. He had a big hemi in his 34 Dodge pickup and couldn't run hood sides. Ended up swapping in a 340 with a six pack.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Considering the cheap stroker kits out there, it's probably cheaper in the long run to shoehorn additional inches inside the small block than it is to shoehorn a big block (with weight and size issues) into the chassis. Especially on the street. That's my 2 cents...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Welcome and nice start! IMHO, 33/34 Plymouth Coupe is the best year/body of any Plymouth.
    Surprised nobody has voted out the (non HAMB friendly) MII front end so far!
    I vote traditional dropped axle and parallel leaf rear suspension.
    Look closely at other 33/34 Ply chassis setups (or 33/34 Fords ) for ideas. I thought there was a 33/34 Ply HAMB thread?...

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

I sure like the look of those early Mopars and you got a nice one to build on. Being a fan of old engines I would probably go for a Desoto Hemi or a Poly but I understand using what you have to keep the budget in check. No matter what you put in it, dress it up nice and make it so you can run without hood sides if you want to. Like someone posted on another thread, “hot rods have exposed engines”. Especially a Mopar in a Mopar.
    Looking forward to following your progress.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  25. My buddy's 1933 DeSoto with a DeSoto Hemi.... Vals DeSoto.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Remember, 34`s had factory independent front suspensions. I got a good friend with a 33 coupe with a hemi. He put a Mustang 2 under it. He also has a33 Dodge pu with a Hemi and a straight axle. He says the truck rides better.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. 33-Plymouth-PC

33-Plymouth-PC

It was one year ago today, that I drug the car home. Since my last post here, I covered it up with a tarp, and basically forgot about it since I didn’t have anywhere to work on it. Last month, I decided to sell it. Had a man come look at it, and make me an offer. We were just a few dollars apart on making a deal, but we didn’t. While I was showing him everything I had for the car, we found the mangled gas tank cover I didn’t even realize I had. It was flattened out and beat up enough that I didn’t recognize it. The next day, I grabbed a hammer and went to beating on it. A few minutes later, it looked like a cover again..... I went inside the house, and pulled the sale ad......

I made the decision that it’s time to get to work on it. I’m pouring concrete tomorrow on my new extended storage barn. I keep my boats under this carport. Now it’s gonna be big enough for the boats, my Cuda, and all my other toys that are currently in my shop. It’ll be 24x60, and completely enclosed. The PC is going in my shop as soon as I can get this finished.....

I’ve been parts hunting too. Bought a auto trans to go behind my spare 440, so it’s getting a big block. Found a few small parts I’m missing, as well as another grill and insert. Just waiting for the seller to get me a shipping price. Still searching for a couple of parts too.

Bound and determined to make some progress soon!

D2142AC5-A0E1-4A82-AA9A-B9EFD0B50509.jpeg View attachment 4905062

Attached Files:

28. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Glad you hung on to it , they are a nice looking car. Watch out for scams on the parts you find . They are out there heavy. Congrats on the workshop.

loudbang likes this.
  29. scotts52

scotts52

If you're letting go of the old grill message me. I might be interested.

30. AGELE55

AGELE55

Hang in there. This car is a thing of beauty. I understand your pain. I’m stalled on my 39 Poncho build because life gets in the way of living sometimes.
    Personally, I’d stick with a small block. The older I get, the more I’m interested in cruising for an hour or two instead of getting there in 12 minutes and figuring out what to do now.
    Keep us posted!

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.