Register now to get rid of these ads!

'33 Franklin Grill Inserts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Dude, Jul 18, 2007.

1. The Dude

The Dude

My dad and some of his buddies are building a '33 Franklin (or at least building a hot rod from what was left of one, but you guys know how that goes) and I made some inserts for the grill shell as the original was long gone and I wanted a more custom look anywho.

I work for an arhitectual signage firm and have a table router at my disposal (and the bossman lets me have all the aluminum scrap I want) so I made cardboard templates to get the shape right, recreated them in Corel, hit copy and paste a whole lot to get the slits and routed them out of some .125. Welded the two halves together and used some adhesive we have for signs here to attach the cross supports to the slits (was worried the heat would warp them too easily as you can tell I am no pro welder but they are hidden so who cares).

Best part of the story... after finishing it the grill just didn't fit the car proportionally without cutting it up (and we didn't want to alter the shape as there are not a whole lot of Franklin stuff left) as it is very tall and they channelled the car a lot so they let me keep it for and ended up using a Packard grill they had, I thought that was really cool of them. Now I just need a new project to put it on!

Anyway I thought I would show it to you guys and see what y'all thought, sorry the pics are a bit fuzzy, my camera is crapping out.

Attached Files:

2. The Dude

The Dude

Pic of back of it

Attached Files:

3. The Dude

The Dude

I also just finished this sign for my dad for father's day (he has a barber shop)

Getting free metal is kinda nice

Attached Files: