Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 Ford PU update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Aviator

Aviator

What is a good engine/transmission setup for a 33 Ford PU? Prefer automatic with non-flathead or SBC. Ideas?

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

3. A Boner

A Boner

4. Hopped up GM 181 Industrial 4 cylinder with early Ford transmission, now aren't you sorry you asked?

Charlie Stephens

Texas Webb and Moondog13 like this.

5. shortypu

shortypu

302/c4 auto ford in a ford is what I like. IMG_7950.jpg

6. I like the W motor. Fits about as good as a SBC. 348 engine in my 34 pickup.JPG

7. The W motor is a good truck motor but they can be pricey and some are a little hard to cool.

Depending on what the truck is going to be used for I suppose any number of bangers will work, I like the GM valve in head banger and the mercruiser is an excellent choice. I also like Olds motors and Cadillac motors real well and then there is always the overlooked but tough enough baby Pontiac v8.

We could no doubt go on for hours I suppose but basically the sky is the limit.

hey I got an ide why not just choose a motor and we'll tell you all the reasons its a bad choice.;)

8. Aviator

Aviator

Primarily local cruising without a need for speed. Like the Mercruiser idea or Chevy banger. Maybe I need to start looking for surplus postal jeep.

9. Or an S-10. Same architecture as the early push rod motor, easy to find and cheap.

10. Moondog13

Moondog13

Nailhead or Olds Rocket or Studebaker 289

11. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

ford y block ...

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

You could put anything in there from a twin turbo chevy big block down to a 2 rotor mazda engine. do you have a general direction with this build? any other parts already bought or installed? maybe sit down and come up with a general idea for the entire car first before deciding on an engine

13. They had varied engines in them. A lot of them had Isuzu engines in them. As a person who drove them for 20 some odd years I can tell you for the most part they are a pile of crap. By now they would all be so old that they would be a pile of worn out crap.

14. I have a 54, 322 Buick in my 31 Ford PU (avatar) with a th350 and a 3.08 rear end, a great combination for the road!
    IMG_1138.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. I hope he was thinking of the 153 cubic inch Chevy II used in the postal jeep. I would suggest a 181 industrial version of the same basic engine.

Charlie Stephens

16. There are a couple of things missing from the story. How much work can Aviator do himself and/or how much can he afford to pay to have someone else do the work? Does Aviator have a garage and tools? What is the duration of the project, would he like to be finished next month or is this a 5 year plan? By all means Avaitor should do a detailed cost analysis before he goes too far.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_7467.jpg IMG_7470.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016