Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 Doll Build Page

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 33Doll

33Doll

I don’t know, but the quality seems real nice! Even if there from China Bill!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. 33Doll

33Doll

4.5 and 10”
    560- and 60- 15” (275/60)

Maicobreako and loudbang like this.
  3. 33Doll

33Doll

I think they are actually nicer looking then the real Radirs

loudbang likes this.
  4. 33Doll

33Doll

IMG_0383.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  5. 33Doll

33Doll

loudbang likes this.
  6. 33Doll

33Doll

Got Em’!
    Have to wait until the end of the month
    To mount and balance. Have to save some more cash! But I am Stoked!
    IMG_0387.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Stogy, Jim Bouchard, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. End of the month? Snap some valve stems in, lube the tires up with a little dish soap, put them on the wheels, expand them with a ratchet strap as needed, blow some air into them, and enjoy them for the rest of the month; you can always balance them later.

8. 33Doll

33Doll

That is true! New rubber should push right on!

But I Need to quit getting distracted, the garage needs some serious organization! I can’t even move hardly! I need to finish welding the frame so I can take it apart and rebuild it, and paint it, but I want to at least put the wheels on 1 time to do a photo shoot!
    (For Inspiration you Know!)

Stogy, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Lots of care with those new wheels!!!
    Blankets on the ground, tape wrapped tire irons, etc.
    It will provide a bit more space since it's two stacks now.
    Just cover before any serious work starts (welding, grinding, sanding, painting) to avoid messing them up.

V8Vic, Stogy, 33Doll and 1 other person like this.
  10. 33Doll

33Doll

Cool! Thanks!
    The set of wire wheels are back to my Pops tomorrow, so i will even more room! Those N-50s take up alot of space! IMG_7495.JPG IMG_7496.JPG

Stogy, brEad, RodStRace and 3 others like this.
  11. 33Doll

33Doll

Did y’all see Pats new blog?

Heres the ridiculous 60’s look I love!!
    Awesome!
    IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG

12. 33Doll

33Doll

To use California verbage!

“ I am stoked above all Stokage!”
    I think I have achieved the 60s look I’m after, and preserve the stance of the 33 in the past!
    The wheels stick out but not terribly far!
    I think it’s perfect!!!
    (and that’s all that matters right?)

Once the body is on, and the fenders are solid, I don’t think they’re going to stick out that far, they’re all wonky right now!
    Now it’s time to tear this chassis down and get it cleaned up and painted!!!
    Enjoy!!!
    IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0499.JPG IMG_0501.JPG

13. 33Doll

33Doll

FINALLY! 9 MONTHS LATER!
    And they bent them!

Damn California DMV! And The US postal service!
    Ups And Fed-Ex are so much better!

Oh well they are here!
    Now I can actually get the car out of my Pops name....and into my name...hopefully!!!
    (More DMV Hassles to Come!)
    GGRRR! IMG_0510.JPG

Mat Thrasher, brEad, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just read through the whole 15 pages, and enjoying the build!
    When I got to the part where you ended up in the hospital with an appendicitis attack, and then a hernia, I couldn't help but chuckle. Not at your bad luck, but because it mirrored what happened to me during my '39 Chev coupe build this year!
    I had a massive hernia they wouldn't operate on due to the health restrictions this year. Then I ended up in ER twice for a gallbladder attack, which they also wouldn't operate on!! Then they finally had to remove the gallbladder because the massive 1.5"x1" stone was causing so much pain they thought I was going t have a stroke. And two weeks later they approved the hernia surgery, and I got that done.
    So your story really hit home as I read it! I just started driving my '39 coupe build, but will go back and finish body prep so it can get painted next spring.

bchctybob, brEad, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  15. 33Doll

33Doll

Got the last pair of Bob Drake runningboards on Earth! They were fine before they shipped. (Thanks HotRodHoodlum Steve) but UPS F@@@d them up!
    I think I can fix it! At least its the inside!
    Damn! What can you do when they don’t make them anymore!
    Oh-Well it will work out!
    Just Pisses me off!
    Won’t tell you how much I paid for them!
    IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

16. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks
    There is 44 pages on this thread, and a few threads before that. I was having trouble in the beginning figuring this thread starting stuff, so the guys said just to stay on 1. So I did a summary of the Family history of the 33’Doll.
    If you didn’t see all that?

(Still waiting for a surgery date for the Hernia! At least it has not been bothering me, but now I know its there!
    And Not going away!)
    Enjoy
    Rick

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Couriers suck! All of them. I have had better late ck with the good old post office mail for big ugly stuff.

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, I saw the summary after discussion about combining it all.
    I've had two hernia surgeries, which doc said was not uncommon once one side is repaired to need the other. First one open surgery, which took a couple years to feel normal again. 2nd laprascopic which was back to great in a couple months, and normal not long after. Never do open surgery ever!

19. 33Doll

33Doll

Pops sent me the plates I have been waiting for 9 months! For those of you know the back story!
    Looks like he straightened them for me!
    Also I ordered tons of parts from my Moms Money she left me. I know she’s smiling from Heaven! She loved that car!
    Adjustments.JPG IMG_2488.JPG

20. 33Doll

33Doll

I think if I put it in the Hydraulic press at work, with a block of wood underneath in the corner, and a 1/4 inch thick piece of rubber taped to the end of the 3” diameter ram, i can fix it without F-ing ip the Vulcanized rubber

chryslerfan55, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  21. 33Doll

33Doll

Some Assembly Required!!!

They say to try The backing plates on your hubs and drums before you paint anything, to make sure it’s gonna work! Which kind of sucks because now I have to dis-assemble the front end!
    Which means I have to knock the studs out of the hubs also, because they’re drilled for 4 1/2, at least the old 5 on 5 1/2 is still there, underneath!
    ( I think?) I’d hate to drill these aluminum drums and then have them not work!
    Adjustments.JPG

22. 33Doll

33Doll

Coolio!
    The corvette Universal Master looks like it will work Killer! Now I can plumb it on the left! And the Ford 2 Bolt base is the same, so I can continue fabbing my Mount! Awesome-Possum!
    IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG

23. Just remove the studs from one hub and bolt the drum on using a couple bolts thru the 5-1/2" pattern. Test fit with the new brakes and if good; use a transfer punch to put the 4-1/2" pattern on both drums.

24. 33Doll

33Doll

They clear the stock backing plates!
    Hopefully the new Lincoln ones also!
    IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0556.JPG

25. 33Doll

33Doll

Boy! All the little Hidden treasures I have been finding! This how old cars get completely tore down!

First.... the hidden patches in the body

Second.... broken pieces of frame where traction bars used to be!

3rd... Hairline cracks in the drums!

Found when I knocked the studs out!
    Boy!.... am I glad I bought new front brakes and Drums!

Someone above is looking out for me!
    IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG

26. alchemy

alchemy

I bet those cracks have been in the old drum since whomever pushed the old studs out. The original studs were swedged, and many guys just try to push them through without cutting the swedges. It will possibly ruin the drum and hub, and might have cracked yours.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  27. 33Doll

33Doll

The hub is Ok, the old studs were cut off, and ground flush before I punched them out. I made it worse, of course. but I did see a hairline crack before, thought it was casting imperfections.
    I was kind of pissed at first, but now I’m glad I found it. Adjustments.JPG

chryslerfan55, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. 33Doll

33Doll

I never thought I would say this about a car! “ damn that’s a Beautiful rear end”!
    I can’t believe how much Beefier, and thicker the later waffle pattern differential is! Hopefully it fits right? As far as my research goes all 8”inches had 28 spline and
    are interchangeable?
    So the Old Diff. is a 63 Fairlane with 3:25 gears according to the tag!
    And the Housing is 67-70 mustang/cougar according to the width on all the charts I find.
    So I bought a track-loc Posi rear Diff with 3:25 gears.
    I liked the Combo before when it used to run.It had enough low end to get going halfway decent from a stand still, and cruise on the freeway 65- 70mph and not wind up to much, with the Toploader three speed. And Merc flatty.
    At least now I have a strong enough rear end to run a 302 or a Windsor later!

But The Dolls’ New Rear-end sure is Beautiful!
    Adjustments.JPG IMG_0576.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

29. Or when she pushed them out. As soon as I saw the pic I knew what had happened. Many folks don't know it. I have an old hole saw just the right size to slip over the studs and cut the swage. Works like a charm.

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Doll, I know what you mean about the UPS. Two years ago I located trim pieces for a '40 Ford, that I had been looking for for a while. The seller packed them in a thick mailing tube that UPS managed to almost bend in half and the trim was destroyed. Luckily the seller insured the package so we both got our money back. With your skill I'm sure you will be able to fix the running board.