Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Sounds like you're doing a nice job with it. 33s rule! I had this 3 window back in the mid 80s.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  2. thanks, what happened to your '33?

3. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my brother-in-law has 33 5w he's owned since 1965. rebuilt twice since then and it needs it again. has typical mid 90's graphics and dated grey tweed interior

4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Ram air restoration sells them for $150.00.Just made some up myself.$30.00 of 3/8 aluminum plate and about 5 hours of time.Id did use my traditional late 40s Bridgeport with no readouts or travel dials to make these on :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. there was a five window body i brought home for a friend of mine that he bought at a swop meet, 1981 rust free- $200:eek::cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. been working on little things, just have not posted. got the seat back from the upholsters [classic upholstery in danbury] he made up the foam padding for me to fit. i tested the seat out and it is comfortable, i just need to put it in the car to make the mounting brackets. i asked him to make the front higher so he layered the foam. i think it looks a lot like the austin seats but they fold forward:D

Attached Files:

ct1932ford likes this.
  7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Great post, I too have a car that was my Dad's.. you have a treasure for sure.

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  8. we have also been measuring up for the tranny conversion. the tranny that my dad and uncle put together is a non syncro 3 speed with a 37 chevy truck shifter welded to it to make a top shifter. he remembers cutting the top off with a hack saw, taking turns when they tired. then my uncle torch welded it together.
    we are planning to do the same thing using a full syncro '63 chevy 3 speed/od that i picked up many years ago at a swop meet. i found a '37 truck tranny to cut the shifter off of.

Attached Files:

9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Great build, and a very nice car. That solid cam 301 and some gear will be a fun fun ride.

10. thank you sir!
    another picture of the two trannys

Attached Files:

11. thanks.
    have you posted pictures?

ct1932ford likes this.
  12. sold it off to buy a 32 ford 5 window.

13. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

here is an old pic, I have a scanned pic from 74 at work

Attached Files:

14. awesome! good luck with it.

15. Cool 33, glad it stayed in the family. Nice work bring it back to it's old glory. Hope to see it some day when I'm cruising somewhere in New England!
    Tom

16. thanks, our cars would look good parked next to each other.

17. we have been working on a bunch of little stuff; sandblasted and primed the garnish moldings. took the bumpers apart and painted the braces. we also removed the floorboards, put all new body mounts in and replaced all the missing bolts. we took out the braces holding the front door hinge posts, toe board supports and floor fillers and sand blasted them, then primed and painted them. put them back in, replaced all the screws and tightened it all up.

Attached Files:

18. now that the body is bolted down tight, i put the seat in and blocked it up. i bolted a couple seat sliders on so it will move forward and back but it won't raise or lower. my dad and i are the same size so i put it where it is comfortable for me and he will check it out in the morning. once i get the measurements i will make the risers.

Attached Files:

19. Hey! what about me? I'm family:cool:

20. i think if you suck the gut in you will fit:eek::D

ct1932ford likes this.
  21. That Hurt! (see my signature)

22. come try it tomorrow.

23. Well I am out of commission having shoulder surgery last week.:confused: So I went over to tb33anda3rd's to see what he was doing.:rolleyes: A pleasant surprise he had his dad back working on the coupe. Just does my heart good!:cool: Took some one handed pictures.:eek:

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. the shoulder surgery did not stop you from putting away a sandwich, and cookies:D
    the first picture is of the deck lid frame glued and screwed in place. i did this so the alignment would be perfect. next step is to sand down the wood, paint it, then install the tin which gets nailed in place.
    in the second picture my dad is removing the through bolt that holds the upper hinge to the wood. he cut a brace that will run up the pillar on the inside of the wood and will be held by the though bolts and sandwich the wood. there is some movement to the door post metal and the bolts won't tighten so nthe new bolts and the plate will pull it all together and add an "overkill" support.
    the third picture i am working some dents out of the rear panel. it had been dented when driving around a field by a young hot rodder who backed into a sapling. :eek:.....uhhh no.... not me:cool: when i had the car repainted my friend did not remove the panel to take the dents out, he just filled it over.

25. Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  26. wood for the deck lid is all sanded, painted and put back on. i also did the final fitting of the rear panel. when i fixed the rear body mount it raised the tail of the car, so the fuel filler hole needed to be welded back up and moved down:( now that it fits and the body lines are good i will take it back off and finish the bodywork and paint the underside.

Attached Files: