The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.
i wish i could use these valve covers but they are for the staggered bolt hole heads.
I agree those valve covers are nice! Like the red It will match the rims
i guess if i make a spacer plate with countersunk lower screws to hold it to the head and studs sticking up to hold down the covers. has anyone done this?
Sounds Good! I think I have seen something like that done before. Did anyone ever make such an adapter??
i just found this thread; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465227&highlight=chevy+valve+cover+adaptors
these would work i think.
This car is unbelievably straight. peace
the deck lid and around the fuel filler need the most attention. my dad remembered the only dent on the lower front of the driver rear fender when he got it.
Just get some early staggered heads...I got a spare pair of 1958 283 heads if you want them.
Looks great! My '35 was also dads car back in the day.
i thought the early heads were not as good?
i will probably use these heads, i have spent the money on them already...but i will do some research [e-mail Dave] and get back to you. thanks for the generous offer.
i do have a set of weiand valve covers that i was planning on polishing, but they look different [modern].
nice! is it the one in your avitar? have any pictures? then and now? i would love to see them.
There are adapters to use early valve covers on late heads but I don't know who has them...
Not to be a vulture but... I happen to have a couple early SBC's and a love for all things WEIAND...
here is the 35 my dad is resurrecting from its original glory in 1959
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
there are a couple on the bay, but my neighbor has a cnc router he thinks he can cut some out for me.
the staggered bolt hole covers i won't part with, they are the ones my dad had on the car. the other set is for the "newer" style....those i might get rid of.
chopped, a hemi, and a set of slicks...awesome!
Don't blame ya.
do you have pictures of the why-and stuff you have?
Love the Chevy coupes. You don't see to many of the 33-34 ones
That is one bad ass looking coupe!
Ahh I've only got a WC4D intake. There's a "user group" for fans of the WHY-AND brand:
i joined the group, you need to find some weiand cover to match that intake, i'll keep my eyes out.
stripped the rumble lid and back of the car to repair some dents, cracks, and adjust the fit on the lid. both sides of the opening had cracks that needed to be welded. i had had these welded when i had the car painted, then they cracked again, i had them welded again but they still split. with the rumble lid off i realized there was a broken support along the panel below the opening and after i removed it, i found that both rear body bolts were missing. i could pry the body off the frame. so i checked the rest of the body bolts....out of the ten that should be there i found four the two on the sill at the middle of the door and the two at the firewall. my dad nor i have any idea where they went or how long they have been missing. the two rear ones were tarred over so they were not there when my dad built it. i think this extra stress is what cracked the metal.
i did not have the camera before i fixed the passenger side so i only have an after shot of that side. driver side before and after.
i decided to replace the broken, wood, cross brace, that ran below the deck lid. it supported the panel and held the shape of the back of the car. when chevy built it they started with the wood cross brace then screwed a sheet metal panel to it, then they wrapped the outer panel around that along the top edge and welded it to the quarter panels. the wood broke into lots of pieces and i was left with the inner panel with screws sticking out. i cut the screw off and ground them flat.
since i would have to cut the back of the car apart to fasten a replica piece of wood in, it was better to use a piece of steel tubing. this would allow me tie the metal hinge braces, the steel angles that connect the quarter panel and the body mount together.
i then made a set of "fender nuts" to attach the deck lid. the square trap nuts had broke a long time ago and was part of the reason the deck lid never fit or worked right. these allowed me to make adjustments but lock tight. i installed just the wood rumble lid frame using the shoulder bolts and it opens and closes nicely. now i just have to refit the skin and do a final adjustment
You do nice work! It must run in the family
If you insist!!
"Where I'm from, you don't mess with another man's woman... or his hat.- Jase Robertson
spent some time fitting the deck lid and it needs more work before i am happy with it.
dad put the reproduction tach in and tested it, it will come back out when we paint the dash but i wanted to make sure it worked in case i had to send it back.
we also pulled off the bumpers and took them apart to paint the brackets. i have worked on a bunch of chevies but never noticed the bow ties embossed into the bumper braces. probably because normally i sand blast them but these i just sanded.
Separate names with a comma.