Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Probably a little overspray from this guy!:eek:
    [​IMG]

2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job. I thought the higher the number the lower the gear .
    So your saying the 55-57 rear ends are not that strong?

3. yes the higher the number the lower the gear. i have 4.56 now [low] , 3.70 going in.
    the 55-63 rears are not known for there strength.

hipster and loudbang like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would say in stock form they are about the same strength as the later 8.2" ten bolt, which is not very strong. I doubt you would ever break one on 8.20 bias plys though.

5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ok. ty for the info. I'm still trying to learn more about the older stuff.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. cleaned the gasket surface, cup brushed the out side and gave it a coat of the gold/copper paint. DSCF5712.JPG DSCF5713.JPG

kiwijeff, loudbang, greaser and 2 others like this.
  7. Runnin shine likes this.
  8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

loudbang likes this.
  10. swopped the gears this afternoon and changed an axle seal and bearing i found was seeping. did not have the right gear oil so i couldn't test drive it. DSCF5716.JPG DSCF5717.JPG

kiwijeff, loudbang, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  11. dad called and asked that the car be gassed and cleaned so he could take it to a cruise..........haha
    the kids heading out!
    DSCF5718.JPG

12. a shot of the car heading off in the distance. DSCF5719.JPG

volvobrynk, ct1932ford and F&J like this.
  13. How are the new gears working out?

14. well, for some reason the car seems to "pull" better. i think it is because it stays in the lower gears longer. i think they will be ok taking off from a start, like i said, first gear in this tranny is geared high.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  15. F&J

F&J

I figured it would change the feel completely.

It's a balance from the first gear ratio, to the type of torque it has in lower bands.

...for the scant ride I had so far with mine, I know I picked the right rear end gear for my Olds first gear, and how it feels so perfect on back road low speeds and state road higher speeds in high. It's more than I hoped for.

hipster, volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. DSCF5833.JPG DSCF5836.JPG i took the car to the jalopy showdown. about an hour and half run on a mix of back roads, hills, in town and high way. the gears are perfect. i did run through some rain and the windshield leaked. i installed it without any sealer and i had a feeling it might. i took it out today and sealed it up. while i was at it i lowered the rear view mirror. now that the seat is raised i wasn't able to look clearly out the rear window.

LOU WELLS, wedjim, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Those are the toolboxes of a working man! They ever fall over? Mine do.

18. i also changed the water pump pulley to a smaller size [thanks Pete for the suggestion] this will speed up the fan and pump. i noticed when i was in traffic the temps rose but if i gave it a little rpm's the temps dropped DSCF5832.JPG

19. i have never had one go over.........i probably should pay more attention.

20. my dad never had a side view mirror on the car, i added a clamp on "peep" mirror but it sucked [looks and function] i decided to put one on. i had a few in my stash and this one worked out the best. none of them would clamp on, so i cut the clamp "return" off, drilled a countersunk hole in the door and screwed it on. the mirror gives a great view, is tinted, and i can still open the vent window up completely. DSCF5834.JPG DSCF5835.JPG DSCF5838.JPG

Stogy, LOU WELLS, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  21. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I've always had good luck with a pulley change in the past , glad it helped you out Ted.

22. i took it for a ride today. i can hear the fan now when i accelerate. i was running a 160 thermostat and the car stayed at 160. it was cool this morning but not cooler than last spring, the choke would not come off, so i think the added fan and pump speed are cooling it better. i swopped out the thermostat this evening and will give it a good run tomorrow.

hipster, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  23. i have a 600+ mile trip coming up with the car and have been going over the car. checked all fluids and bolts, for tightness. i found a loose battery cable to the starter, rear u-bolts needed to be tightened, brake adjust, greased and oiled everything. this evening i started applying the first coat of wax since i painted it.
    the rear view mirror is good now, it looks right out the back and the side view mirror works perfect. makes driving it easier in traffic.

kiwijeff, hipster, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  24. pumpman

pumpman

Details, details and more details. Gotta love it. Nice job!

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. down to Maryland for the jalopyrama and back. we took a route that took us down through the delaware water gap, drove in rain on the way down. car handled fine in the rain. rain stopped by the time we got to Harrisburg and spent some time cleaning it at the B&B we stayed at the night before setup. we had to be at the show between 12 and 5 pm friday, and it only took an hour and a half to get there from harrisburg. car has a shimmy at 60 mph but goes away at 65. i think i have a hub, that is out of balance. the generator nut came loose also. i had a problem with the rear bushing on the generator drying out and it would vibrate till i put a couple drops of oil in it. i think this vibration/friction loosened the nut. i think the high rpm's and excessive under hood heat contributed to it drying out. i will keep oiling it. other than that car cruised fine and the seat is comfy.......even after a days driving.
    the show was a blast. here's a few photos taken by one of the "rusty nuts" members that put on the show. IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG

26. car was awarded one of the top twenty "picks" by the Rusty Nuts Hot Rod Group. photo.JPG

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And I see why!

It looks so perfect in al the little details, without being a show car, but a good "streetrod" meant to be driven. It's a survivor, and you dads and then yours to boot! That don't happens a lot.
    It's so nice with an Era Perfect rod without patina and without the blue oval!

Will the new gears stay?

(I love to rattle the other HAMBers chain by calling it a streetrod, because back in its day it was considered a street rod, today "grey beards" would call it a traditional hot rod, young people would call it a RR, and to me both a wrong because it's so much more, being an EP, gently restoration of a survivor without faux patina/barn fond look. Maybe we should start calling it TWR, Teds Wonderful Rod, despite it already being taken)

28. thanks Rasmus.
    the 3.70 gears are not bad on the high way, i like the 4.56's better around town. one good thing about the 3.70's is the speedometer is accurate. the donut eaters set up electronic "your speed" signs along the highway to "remind" us not to speed. i went by a bunch of them and they matched the speedometer reading. i will probably swop the gears as needed.

kiwijeff, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  29. 41woodie

41woodie

Just found this thread, I've loved that body style since the first time I saw them circling a dirt track back in the early 60's. Great looking car