The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 27, 2018.
That's why I pulled in Bill and Donny. This chop was exponentially more difficult than my '32 5w.
With the dash at a good stopping spot, I decided to start working on the gauge panel. I had got this Auburn panel a few years ago, in an old hot rod dash. It had been modified to accept five 2 5/8" front mount gauges. Who ever had did the work made new inserts, which hid how much the back side had been cut out. It was in need of being repaired, as I wanted to put rear mount gauges back in it.
I had access to some original Auburn inserts, and figured those would be good to use at templates to make repair pieces for my panel. For anyone who has cut holes for anything rear mounted, it seems like it's nearly impossible to cut the hole perfectly. Knowing that challenge ahead, I decided to have the original inserts 3D scanned. This would allow me to have the repair pieces laser cut out, making the holes about as perfect as anyone could.
Here's a shot of the pieces that I had scanned:
After getting the scanned files, I reworked the designs a little in CAD. I already knew that I wouldn't be completely following the original Auburn layout - specifically, the 2 3/8" outer gauges. My setup will be using the stock sized speedometer, surrounded by four 2 5/8" rear mount gauges. I also took the chance to move the switches around a little to have six pull switches, surrounding a Ford starter button in the middle:
I sent the Auburn panel out to have the chrome stripped, while an order went out to the laser house to cut repair pieces. What I got back was this:
With everything in hand, it was as simple as trimming the pieces to fit together, welding them, and dressing the welds:
Here's the panel back in the dash for a quick confirmation that everything fits still, as well as marking the holes to drill for the pull switches:
With the repair work finished, it was time for a quick mockup. I had previously sent CAD files of the inserts to FPM Metals in Nebraska. The offer various engine turned blank panels, so I had them laser cut out the inserts. Once again, that got the holes for the rear mount gauges perfect.
I had Dan's restored Auburn gauges at my house still, so I borrowed a couple for a quick mockup in my car:
Wow, looks real good!
Master craftsman at work with modern tools.
I've been working toward a plan of doing chassis work this winter. While working on the dash, I've been collecting parts and pieces to refresh the frame that's under the car now. It'll be the basic early Ford chassis - split wishbones with an Ansen dropped '32 axle in the front and an open drive Halibrand 201 in the rear.
I originally planned to run a 7.00-16 in the rear, but I boxed myself in the corner of not being able to get the front end down low enough to make the 7.00 visually work on the rear, while providing enough rake. I'm going to run a 5.00/5.25-16 in the front, as that's a far superior tire to the 4.50/4.75-16, and it's only about 1/2" taller overall.
I was leaning toward a 7.50-16, so I borrowed a pair from a friend to mock up......I think I like the look a lot more:
In the rest of my spare time, I've been planning out the jig so that I can get a material list together:
...Nice Hotrod @CTaulbert...I suspect the smile on your face is from ear to ear looking at that...mine sure is...
Looks so mean, great move on the 750’s
What a cool hot rod.
That rubber rake is spot on!
Don't mean to sabotage this great thread but, mrharley you hit it outta the park on your pick up by tying in the lower front bed line to the cab/hood bottom sweep! Love the black out frame with contrasting body color that really shows off that detail!
Sent from the red phone
this car is so bitchin'...I think the Cal Kid is in for some competition...
Cory,you're knocking Another one out of the park.What brand of tire are you thinking?
It's hard to beat Firestone Deluxe Champions for the look. I entertained running Dunlop Vintage Racing tires, but they do not have a short 16" tire for the front.
How's the project coming Cory?
I was getting ready to pull the body a few weeks ago, but a house popped up for sale locally that checked all the boxes for what we wanted in a future home......so the '33 got packed full of parts for the car.
The project is going on pause for a few months for the move, but that should give me some time to get rejuvenated to hit it hard again.
Congrats on the new house. Looking forward to your renew efforts on this build.
Cory, you did it again, your co work with satellites?
Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Great looking car with some new innovations. Congrats on the new house.
It's been a while, but the '33 should be back on soon. The move is done, the new shop is set up, and the my free time is about to open up.
Cory: early cal. Drags didn’t require roll bars, I raced a 29 roadster with no roll bar all over southern cal with out, Helmets were mandatory 118 miles / hr
Congrats on new digs
With the weather turning here in Michigan, I decided to get the '32 out of winter storage. I wanted to get the normal seasonal maintenance out of the way before tearing the '33 apart. It got the oil change, fluids check and chassis lube the other day before getting moved over to the garage.
With that out of the way, I started getting the '33 prepared to pull the body. While the body bolts were soaking with some penetrating oil, I pulled the swing metal to make the body removal go a little easier. Fortunately, only two body bolts broke - the two blind bolts in the rocker, which had no access for penetrating oil. I preferred breaking the bolts than twisting the caged nut, so it won't be too hard to fix.
For never being off the frame in the past 87 years, everything separated well, with no surprises underneath. Next, I'll start getting the jig put together to get the chassis set up for its pending changes.
Separate names with a comma.