The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 27, 2018.
For a non-metal guy, you sure are knocking it out of the park.
That chop is real sweet, looks like it's running a 100 mph just sitting there.
Any updates I've been sitting at my computer for weeks.....
He's a little busy today winning the AMBR award with his old black roadster.
Is this still a working project?
Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Except that he didn't.
Yeah... but he was in the running at that point and a lot of guys liked it. I think it was more a point of saying his cars at the AMBR at the moment, and as such has his hands full.
That being said, If I were him I’d probably be busy getting my two running driving hot rods ready for the season and probably a trip to Texas and not doing anything worth mentioning on the project.
I’m sure he’ll post when he’s got something to post
He got my vote.
I think the HAMB community is patiently awaiting your 2020 AMBR contender submission.
Until this past weekend, I hadn't touched the car since December. I got tied up with shortening a C10 longbed into a shortbed, designing a blower intake manifold for a friend, and getting the roadster to and from GNRS.
I have a couple of house project to tackle in the next couple of weeks, then I'm back on finishing the chop.
Hey Cory I was just joking around. Seems like I left out the funny little faces ( like this) so I added them in. Nothing serious or derogatory intended.
I love your Roadster and your 32 5 window even more. The 40 sedan was beautiful.
The 33 is going to be just as nice.
I have no intention of entering my humble little home build 26 RPU into anything that grand.
I’m doing my best for my first ever full build but I have no illusions about that.
Carry on, I’ve been following your builds for some time now and trying to learn what I can.
I ended up building my paint booth very similar to what you did on your 32 and did a reasonable job considering I never painted before.
Pictures in my build thread.
Haven't updated this thread for a while.....
Between some other projects, I chipped away at the car in the background. I had to address the rear corner of the quarter windows, which were now peaked from the path of the chop. I wanted to finish it in a larger radius, to complement the other two radii of that window.
I've never used a Pullmax before, but have access to one, and figured it would be the best route to making the new corner. I made a paper pattern of the window opening that I wanted to achieve first. With that known, I knew the radius that I needed to achieve for the new corner, and transferred that to a wood hammerform that I made. This allowed me to turn the window opening flanged after stretching the material:
I made some dies to form the detail of the window opening using some 1/2" steel. With that done, and several window corner blanks, I went to Dan's to try them on the Pullmax. It took a couple of trips, and probably a half dozen blanks, before I got a pair down that I was happy with:
I didn't take photos, but I broke a return flange for the inner flange that faces the actual glass. I then stretched it to match the radius of the window opening, and joined all of the pieces together on the car:
With the quarter windows wrapped up, the exterior of the chop was pretty much complete. I then moved onto chopping down the interior wood to fit back into the car. With that done, I would refit the upper door opening tins too. The car came with a new rear window wood kit, so I got that cut down as well:
With the wood cut down and temporarily installed (it will come back out to get sealed), I could move onto the garnishes. My goal is to chrome the garnishes, so the job ahead was a little intimidating. I started with what I figured was the easiest, the rear window:
I assumed the door garnishes were going to be the most difficult, so I moved to the quarters next. They were pretty straight forward considering the change in the rear corner radius:
The door garnishes turned out to be easier than I had expected, only requiring a few relief cuts to get the upper portions to match the new a-pillar angle:
Once the door garnishes were welded up, I went back a made new corner webs for the front lower corners to replace the original pieces that no longer had the correct radius. While I was doing that, I decided to make corner webs for the rear corners too. While they weren't there originally, I think they make the garnishes look a little more complete.
Chop looks perfect! Workmanship is impeccable! Love it.
That's a masterful job on the quarter window corners. (I warned you they're a Bear to dial in!)
Separate names with a comma.