Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 33/34 Ford - Handmade Roadster Windshield Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking to hand make a windshield frame for my 34 roadster. Can someone take a measurement of their frame so I have a baseline to replicate? I'm looking for the thickness of the perimeter frame when viewed from the front of the vehicle (from photos looks to be about 2"?), and the thickness of the frame when viewed from the side (looks to be about 3/4"?)

If anyone has any cool ideas (other than a duvall style windshield) I'm open to those as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. I've seen it done by a guy that is a true craftsman and the work was less than desired,he spent the better part of a month working on it and he ended up tossing it on the scrap pile.

With that said,I wish you better luck. HRP

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jay Orberg (the 'original' "Mr. Roadster" made a whole line of street rod parts back in the early '70s.
    This is the same line that Speedway Motors sells now. (Jay sold the entire "Mr. Roadster" mfg and stock to Speedy Bill after he was through with the business end)
    When I visited Jay in 1973, he was on Lankershim Blvd., in Los Angeles. He had a young helper, but was manufacturing these round stock windshield frames by having a machinist broach a channel in one side of the round stock. (7/8" O.D., I believe...could have been 3/4")
    He then fitted a length of channel stock into the cut, and attached it by some mini welds...
    The end result was sanitary, looked factory.
    Speedway sells them for a king's ransom, compared to what Jay sold them for...

4. The 2" dimension you mentioned is actually about 1 1/8". I measured some frames when I was building my cabrio since I wanted to make my own frame. I did, and used 12 ga. steel, cut the outside out in one piece. I welded a flange to the inside, creating sort of a frame to glue the glass in to. Looks OK but I'd need to do more detail work to ever get it ready for chrome. I'm going by memory on that 1 1/8 number btw but that is close. Tim 100_0687.JPG 007.JPG

5. Thanks for the replies. I have definitely thought about doing the slot down a piece of round stock, mitering the ends and welding it up. My initial plan was very similar, but rather than using round, use rectangular aluminum bar, and then mill a 1/2" slot for a piece of 1/4" glass + 1/8" rubber per side (give or take). Make a cardboard template from the cowl shape and copy that to wood. Then, bend the aluminum with heat around a disposable wood form. Mitre corners, weld, and polish to a shine.

wheeldog57 and Doctor G like this.
  6. You can purchase windshield tubing material in straight sticks,,,different profiles for different cars..
    I found the mfg for it in Hemmings....
    You guys planning to build your own,dont forget,you cannot weld all the corners or you would never get the glass in..

ff1930 likes this.
  7. Anybody else with measurements of their frame widths?

8. I have an original 34 roadster windshield frame and can give you the measurements you need . Email me at [email protected]