Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 33-34 Ford coupe bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ss34coupe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. b-bob

b-bob

Glad it went to a good home.

2. Very nice!!!

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, Dustin.

Thanks, Brian. Coming from a friend of Rod's I very much appreciate your comment.

Thanks!

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Rod was a long time and I believe, a founding member of the Langley Loafers hot rod club - still going strong after many decades. You can see from the banner in this pic that the club was formed in 1957. Recently several Loafer members took Rod's coupe to a display at a car meet. 2015 gvmps langley loafers ford.jpg

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

To make room for this new coupe, I had to let another one go. This original paint 34 five window went to my friend Ron, and he will build it as a traditional highboy, using the 54 Buick nailhead motor shown in the pic. The other pic shows the coupe as I got it, and there are several photos earlier in this thread. IMG_1873.JPG IMG_0654.JPG

rustymetal, Dannerr and Drewfus like this.
  6. 34ford5w

34ford5w
    from Colorado

That's awesome man! Thought I'd show a pi of the 3w I made it to dirt drags!

Attached Files:

ss34coupe likes this.
  7. 34ford5w

34ford5w
    from Colorado

Dirt drags

Attached Files:

8. Sounds like that one went to a good home too. Will he be posting pics here in this thread?

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Got any three windows for sale Steve?

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Seen that car many many times over the years.

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

If we can get him to learn how to post pics. It would be a good build to follow, Ron is a very talented hot rod builder.

No, but I have a 1953 Ford convertible project for sale or trade - check the cars for sale section here. By the way, your 34 truck is coming along great!

Dannerr likes this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Na if I was going to build a 50's car it would be another 49 or 50.

Thanks I hope to get some more work done on the truck soon.

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Does this car have a filled roof? In a previous picture it has an insert. It looks eerily close to my cousin's car that he sold about 33 years ago, I have been looking for it to see what has become of it. I have posted pictures in this thread before.

Pat

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The coupe does not have a filled roof. It has always been a west coast car, and my understanding is that Rod bought the coupe in 1977, and built it as it appears today in the late 80's early 90's. Unlikely it is your cousin's car. I am now trying to piece together the history of this coupe, and a couple of Rod's long time friends have been very helpful in that regard. There is another friend that apparently has some of the good information on the history of the coupe, but I have yet to connect with him. Unfortunately, Rod was not the type to take pics as the build progressed, but of course that was all in the pre digital era. So much easier to keep a running history now than back in the pre-digital era.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thanks SS34coupe, the search goes on.

Pat

16. Squablow

Squablow

Great thread, great inspiration.

I have just recently aquired enough scabs to build a '33 5w coupe body but I could really use some help from someone who has a complete one, I need a template of the rear quarter window opening, since my roof is going to be made of sedan pieces. I would happily pay someone to trace me out the opening and mail it to me.

Probably will need several other measurements as I start cutting but that's the only one that would require a template and not just a tape measure, unless someone can figure out a way to template the shape of the back of the roof crown.

If anyone could help me out with that, I'd be very appreciative. I will probably also have some leftover scabs (some 4 door sedan rear door hinges and pillar stuff, maybe a couple sections of roof sides) that I would trade for anything else I can use, although I am working with some really rough stuff.

17. Duke

Duke

I can trace out a quarter window for you. I have an idea how to get you the roof crown as well. I will see how it turns out.

Squablow likes this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Duke, that would be great! I will send you a "conversation" as well but I really do appreciate this, I'll pay you for it, this would help tremendously. I don't know of a single 33-34 coupe in my area that I could even look at for measurements, this is what I love about the HAMB!

ss34coupe likes this.
  19. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

20. Squablow

Squablow

Started scabricating this thing together yesterday and had all day today to work on it, before pic taken around 7 last night.

IMG_4461.JPG

And this is tonight, so far, so good.

IMG_4462.JPG
    Duke was nice enough to trace out the quarter window openings on his car for me so I'd know how much width to take out and also a measurement of the roof crown which I still have to cut down, this was just a start (big thanks again to Duke for that).

This was a lot easier to do considering others like Thunderbirdesq, Flatnasty and Fordgasser posted their build threads with tips and whatnot on where to make cuts. I really wish I had some original quarter pieces to work with though, the pieces I have now are from a '33 Dodge. Better than nothing, might do a filled trunklid just to make it easier, that was popular back in the day anyway.

I'm also unsure where it would be best to make my cuts to take out the roof crown, I've seen it done a couple different ways, would love some input on that.

cactus1, Nailhead A-V8 and 530sandman like this.
  21. Wowa!
    At that speed, you'll be driving her by early spring!
    Keep up the good work and post lots of pictures.
    Lot's of us will wan't to see progress reports!
    I would've had much more done on mine:oops:, but T.R.O.G. on the West, with my Banger Roadster is my priority!:cool: (Until then!)
    Joe

Squablow likes this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

This pic is from at least a month ago but I did manage to get the roof crown into approximate shape and tacked together according to the pattern that Duke sent me. The big news is I may have found a trunk lid locally which would make this so much easier. Fingers crossed, here's hoping.

IMG_4529.JPG

cactus1, Drewfus, Dannerr and 4 others like this.
  23. Duke

Duke

I think you need to chop the sedan doors to make it work with the coupe quarter window.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. The roof is definitely out of whack yet, it makes a peak right at the B pillar, so that will be addressed for sure. This is just as far as I got before I had to stick it into it's corner for winter storage. I'm short on space but I really wanted to get it at least tacked together in one piece before moving it. It's braced up pretty good for now. (And thanks again for the patterns!)

IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4532.JPG
    She's wedged in there tight! Next summer I'll hopefully have some better quarters and this trunklid and I'll give it another round of metalwork.

Dannerr and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"scabricating". This belongs in the HAMB dictionary...:D

LOU WELLS and Johnboy34 like this.
  26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

that's so cool man.... if I remember correctly the 4 door rear 1/4 window and the height of the doors is different than the coupe hence the humped look.... you can take care of that when you chop it

27. Squablow

Squablow

I bought this trunklid today to see if I could use it on my '33 project but I can't nail down what exactly it is. Can anyone tell me for sure what year this lid is from, or give me a measurement of width and height of a 33-34 coupe lid? A picture of the inside of a 33-34 coupe trunklid would help too, can't seem to find much on the web.

IMG_4627.JPG IMG_4628.JPG

28. Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  29. Here is a pic of 33-34 ford 34 deck lid.jpg

30. Squablow

Squablow

^^ It does look just like that first one, looks like he's not totally sure what it is either, but that's a good start, thanks!