Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 33-34 Ford coupe bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ss34coupe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

here are pics of my two coupe bodies as they looked the day I got them. One is a '34 three window that had been chopped in the fifties, and I bought it in '91. The other is a '33 five window that used to race on an oval track, and it came to my garage in '02. The '34 is now a finished car and the '33 is a work-in-progress. Pretty much any 33-34 Ford coupe body is worth resurrecting, in my view, and there are enough spare body panels and parts that are interchangeable with the sedans to accomplish the job. There are also some good manufacturers of steel repro panels.

I'm hoping there's lots of similar rough coupe bodies out there. Lets see who gets the trophy for re-doing the roughest one. Post your pics of that 33-34 Ford coupe body that your friends all think will never see the street again. Lets prove 'em wrong!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I just posted this in the price thread and right now I may be in the lead.....

3. I'll play.....:)

I'll have to dig up the better -after- shots tomorrow, they're on a separate disc somewhere....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. plan9

plan9

yes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

baught the above body off the hamb not too long ago.. definately wont be some 3 month build, i enjoy fucked up junk, you get to know everything pretty well.

its a cherry compared to MCQUEEN's ;)

ss34coupe or MCQUEEN - there was mention of the similarities betwixt 4dr's and 5 windows. are there interchangeable door & pillar components?

Desmodromic likes this.

5. Wow, I remember seeing that years ago(here on the HAMB), and thinking 'ouch' over and over again, great to see you're making great progress on it...

Somewhere, out there, I'm hoping there's a 3 window that needs some love, just gotta find one..

Cheers,

Drewfus

6. Bought this cut apart body about 4 years ago for three grand. So far I have it back in one piece and 5" chop about 75% done. Having trouble finding time to work on it. Still needs some patch panels and everything else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traded a cut down 29 sport coupe body for this funky, shortened , X jalopy 5w body a few months ago. I had enough parts to get it tacked back to full length and gave it a 6" chop. I will spend a couple of weekends welding it back together and then there will be a H.A.M.B. bondo party.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Progress ? It was done a few weeks after it came home. Sold & went west, looong ago. :)

======

[/quote]ss34coupe or MCQUEEN - there was mention of the similarities betwixt 4dr's and 5 windows. are there interchangeable door & pillar components?[/quote]

The hinge pieces on 5w doors are different than 4dr front doors, they kind of wrap around. You can make them work if you cut them, angle them back and re-weld/fill in the gap. The 4dr doors need 7/8" cut out of the rear upright just under the top hinge, then you have to pie cut (or however you want to attack it) the front curvature of the window frame so the top of the door comes down level. A good & easy way to do it is put the door on a real 5w post with the lower 2 hinges, cut 3/4" out (gets you in the ballpark) about an inch or 2 below the top hinge, pie cut the front of the window frame right in the apex of the curve and start moving the rear down and shaving more from the 3/4" cut until it fits on your hinge. I can post a pic tomorrow of the diff. between a 5w and 4dr female hinge part..

Nailhead A-V8 and reagen like this.
  8. plan9

plan9

thanks for the explaination, pics would deffinately help.

would tudor hinges require the same amount of work as a 4dr? i just picked up a nice 5 window door with the hinges but i dont have the pillar yet, i was going to use it to make a passenger side dr with the spare bits ive got... perhaps it would be wise to get the 5 window pillars and massage the hinges to fit?

9. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

I know were the car is!!!!!, a guy i know jeremy up the highway from me has got it, that is crazy, im gunna show him the pictures of it, he will not beleive this!!!!!!

reagen likes this.
  10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

McQueen, you got it right on the differences between the 5 window coupe door and one from a four door. Just helped a friend put a set of sedan doors on his coupe, and he was lucky enough to have the hinges from a couple of really bad coupe doors, so did not have to modify the sedan hinges. The pillars on the four door are similar to the coupe, but the hinges fit into them, whereas the coupe hinge lays on an indent in the door pillar. The four door pillar would have to be sectioned at the top hinge, in the same way the sedan door is sectioned to properly position the top hinge.

Some really good examples of rough start coupes here...who said it couldn't be done?

11. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

about 20 + years ago..

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  12. Hey Kiwi Kev, whats the story on your body? Do you know why it was cut apart???? It looks like it was really decent before it was cut up :)

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

Id really like to see that Coupe MQueen posted today. I know Choprods posted it back a long time ago but would tell much else.

So, which one of you is hoarding that passenger side 34 tudor Sedan Window moulding Ive been looking for for over a year now? :)

14. amazing, some day Ill own a 3 window. It may take me finishing and selling/trading my chopped 50 Ford for a body and frame/roller. Some day :)

15. The guy I got my body from was going to build a roadster. He was a very capable builder.. He had gathered many parts for the project like cowl, doors etc and many years ago, maybe in the 70's, he picked up this coupe shell for a couple of hundred bucks with the plan of using the 1/4 panels for his roadster. Well he used to build cars and do fab work for people out of his home workshop. (70's,80's). He got a divorce and the stuff remained stored at the house while his wife lived there. About 5 years ago the house goes up for sale and my friend buys it. I try to buy the coupe body but the guy won't sell it, he still needs it for his roadster project. Then on move out day my friend calls and says "you better get over here, they're cutting up that coupe body and most of it is going in the dumpster". I get there and he lets me take everything but the 1/4 panels for free. In the following month or 2 I convince him to sell me the 1/4 panels for the price of a pair of steel repro roadster 1/4 panels (3,000). Then he took me to his storage and hooked me up with a pair of doors, dash, decklid, hood top and grill. I think it was a good deal even if I did have to weld it back together. I was as shocked as anyone else that he would cut that body up, I guess he was just out of touch with what people are settling for these days. I figure if he didn't do that I would have never ended up with it.

16. Thats pretty wild Kev! Good thing your buddy called ya!!!!!

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cool thread fellas......impressive work.......very impressive.....

Give's hope.....

18. damnfingers

damnfingers

If you resurrected that you're a God in my eyes...that is amazing!:eek:

aussie57wag and reagen like this.
  19. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

You can save and drive them all. Even show them indoors dirty. We found our display outside in the parking lot. Cut a few kitties in the slush and park it. This coupe looks better dirty.

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 and aussie57wag like this.
  20. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Nice 5 window. How much is the chop on it?

21. You guys deserve the prize...

But sometimes cars look better with tons of plastic, lead, and paint on them. As I learned with this one! It was a real mess, all straightend out now and off somewhere.

Attached Files:

22. Amasing story Kev, one of my favorites...

23. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Here,s mine

Attached Files:

• 34a.jpg
      34a.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    • 34b.jpg
      34b.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
  24. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

The one thing I always liked about the 5w's ,they already have a chopped look to them. The 3w's dont,unchopped the look out of proprtion to me.

25. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

4.5" front 4" Back

26. Here's mine -

<br> [​IMG]
    <br> [​IMG]
    <br> [​IMG]
    <br>

Originally built in the 50s'
    • Flathead w/ 3 duece
    • Channeled - Frame on top of floor
    • Lead body work
    • Indy style track nose
    • Bobbed rear fenders welded to quarters
    • '37 Ford spare tire cycle fenders
    Larry Leka, Tulsa, OK area bought it in '59 or '60 and made some changes
    • '59 Pontiac 389 w/ Chevy 3 speed
    • Early Pontiac rear end, pre '57
    • '57 Chevy Dash
    • Blue metal flake vinyl interior and paint
    • Raced and showed in and around Tulsa, OK area until '67 when "motor blew". Parked until 2005
    • Passed through a few hands before I got it, guy got happy with the plasma torch and cut the rear fenders and hood off, threw them in the scrap pile (lucky I saw them before I left)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Pete

Pete

Here's mine. 33 coupe.

Attached Files:

28. Pete, I love your car, I've only seen one picture of it before, and would love to see more!!!!!
    Chris

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

yes Pete, great car, any more pics of it in the construction phase?

30. Pete

Pete

Ill post some more tonight after work.

Thanks guys.