Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 with Vortec Heads Water Flow??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by katyfattrodder, Nov 7, 2020.

1. katyfattrodder

katyfattrodder

Hello Hambers,

need some guidance. I have a fresh 327 with Cast Iron Fortec heads and standard short SBC Water Pump. seems to be getting too hot, too quick. Is there any difference in rotation required for this setup? I read some using a hose from the water pump to the intake to help with flow? Any ideas on how to cure this issue. thanks in advance.

2. Dont know how much difference it makes,but the Vortex head is missing a small hole on the front passenger side.On the block that hole is connected to a passage you can see on the water pump mounting surface.Its a by pass to keep coolant moving.The Vortex head blocks it off.Im sure lots of guys do fine with out it,but some drill 4 to 6 small holes in the flange of the thermostat to allow coolant to continue moving like the by pass passage did.

katyfattrodder likes this.
  3. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

The Vortecs need a thermostat by pass. Drilling holes in the thermostat prolongs warm up time. You can fab a hose from the intake to the the port on top of the short water pump. Thats the way gm did some of them back then on the higher horsepower and truck engines. I had a HP 283 and the by pass hole in the block on the passenger was blocked off from the factory. by pass.jpg

katyfattrodder and olscrounger like this.