Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 327 valve cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Got a set of valve covers that the passenger side just won't seal, damn China. Going through put my og ones back on, put new intake carb and pcv valve on. Should I drill out spot for pcv valve? Don't have oil filler tube anymore either. Should I do a breather on the covers?

2. squirrel

squirrel

What the the original valve covers that you have? pictures?

Generally adding a hole for a PCV valve doesn't work out to well, unless you add a good oil separator under it. Like maybe get one from a later model stock valve cover, and tack weld it in. And make sure you put the hole between two cylinders, so there's enough room between the rockers for it.

I'd probably find some covers off a newer engine, if I had to run PCV on the valve covers.

3. Hmm...I think I would try to find an intake with an oil filler tube that you could put a breather on and then run your PCV for the crankcase vent at the back of the block to the carb base. A PCV in the valve covers makes it look too much like a 350, IMHO. Just a thought.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baffled grommet.

5. Why is this under event coverage?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I'm not sure how it ended up in here. They are stock 327 gm covers that came with the car, I'm going to check the leaking one I put on and see if it is a little warped, maybe a tweak here or there will help? Can a mod move this to the proper place?

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Are they leaking because there aren't any breathers? On your Chinese specials you might try cork gaskets and glue them to the cover with 3M weather stripping adhesive just don't cuss me when it's time to get them off.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

There are breathers on them. Just passenger side leaks, going to mess with it and see if I can bend it in, it leaks in the middle bottom. Got lucky with driver side. Got cork gasket 5/16 glued with black rtv weighted down overnight.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

See if you can find Corvair valve cover clips.

11. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

What do the corvair valve cover clips look like? I bought spreaders for the bolts, I need to check it on a flat surface. It may be twisted a bit. Trying to salvage them, don't want to swap them back to the originals. The chrome looks nice

12. squirrel

squirrel

13. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I have those on already.

14. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Got it fixed. Was bowed on the bottom. Little sanding on the gasket and bingo. One less problem

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so why talk about drilling covers since there are already breathers? if stock they should already have baffles in them. use correct size grommet for PCV.

16. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I fixed the chrome one that was leaking oil.

17. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My stock ones had no breather.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Even if you do drill a hole for a PCV, or use a different set of covers that already have them, you still need to have a vent to pull air in through. That usually means a front fill tube breather, another breather in the opposite valve cover, or some variation of those two things. Most aftermarket intakes have a bung that can be machined for an oil fill tube. Most 327's have a spot on the rear on the block for a PVC pickup point or vent. You could also add a couple of "race type" vents to both valve covers, use the rear of the block for the PCV pickup, and you would't have the worry of sucking oil off the valve covers. But, you would also need the factory valley cannister baffle to use with a PCV. There are many threads here to look through. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

The new covers have breathers on them. Ran a pcv on one.