Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 327 SBC or 364 Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Aug 28, 2019.

?
  1. Nailhead

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. 327

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The 350 in my ‘36 3 Window is tired. I have a ‘65 327 SBC and a ‘57 364 Nailhead. Which is a better choice? I would do a 3 deuce setup on either one with a 5 speed. Parts for the 327 will definitely be cheaper and easier to find. But is there enough of a cool factor to justify the Nailhead?

2D749C67-04C4-467C-A07B-3E36B794BDE9.jpeg

kidcampbell71, Deuces and Voh like this.
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Depends, do you park it with the hood open a lot? Like to stare an engine or wind it out on the road?

I’m a function over form guy myself so the thrill is in the driving for me. If the Chevy motorvates you faster that’s what I’d do.

55styleliner likes this.
  3. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Not currently, the old 350 is tired looking. Would love to run it without hood sides or park with hood open. But I don’t want to sacrifice driveability. Which I think either choice will do well for having fun at the stop light.

4. I pulled a good running 352 FE from my 56 ford Pk. because I have this nailhead with a adapter and stick lasalle trans. The nailhead has some wieand goodies and try Y hedders. haven't go around to installing it yet. ngines 005.JPG ngines 003.JPG ngines 001.JPG bull & 56 truck 002.JPG

5. belair

belair

Either will move you down the road, both look tasty when dolled up. 327 is the magic number, nailhead is the magic word. The SBC will be easier and cheape, but you already know that. You can't loose.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I voted. By law I cant tell you which one I voted for...but it wasn't the chev

8. 1962 dodge lancer

1962 dodge lancer
    from joliet, il

definitely buick nail head because everything has a chev !

mgtstumpy and Old wolf like this.
  9. I have a Nailhead in a '35 pick up......it takes a bit of persuasion to get one in these cars. There is a thread from a few months ago with Al putting one in his '32.......you can get an idea of the work necessary from that. I use custom tube headers, Al used stock Nailhead manifolds. A Nailhead is definitely a torque monster.

I also have an SBC in my '40 coupe........real simple swap.......no cutting needed, plenty of header options. Looks like Henry designed these for SBCs.

DSCN0590.JPG DSCN0591.JPG '40 deluxe coupe - 327 FI engine.jpg

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have never seen a nail head dressed up to look like a SBC.

55styleliner likes this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

being a Chevy guy I'd go Chevrolet.

olscrounger likes this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

20121103_100239.jpg
    Does this picture of the nailhead in Ron Myers' old '39 help you decide?

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

What floats your boat, IMO, $$$ wise, performance wise, work required, SBC 327 is the way to go. IF you want to spend $$$ and do the work think about a SBF. Ford in a Ford, a new novel Idea I've heard about. I'm not a nailhead fan, will say they look good, It's all about YOU, Your car, $$$, Time. Good Luck !

15. oldolds

oldolds

I would probably do the Chevy because you could change it over in a weekend. But this guy has a different opinion.

henry ford.jpg

16. Buick on hoodless cars.On a full body car I would go with the cheaper to build Chevy.

56shoebox likes this.
  17. They both would have a bit of a cool factor-early sbc three deuce, or nail head three deuce.
    My practical/lazy side would be the sbc, since you already are set up for it.
    No loser here, both will get you where you want to be.
    Nice coupe.

18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Beautiful car! Can't go wrong with either but if it were me, I'd go Nailhead just because I like the look of them so much. As said, the 327 is a bolt in while the Buick is going to cost you more $ to do and will be harder swap. I'm sure once it is done you won't regret it though.

I have a feeling that if you do the 327 you will always be saying, "Man, sure wish I had put the nailhead in here"!

19. Performance- reliability- or cool factor........... You can only pick two! If your a hood open guy= go for what your wallet will allow.... Not condoning, but you have the mounts, cooling system already done.........
    If you want to impress others, and not yourself, you might be missing out......
    Do what you will, and what you like......
    Nails are cool looking as hell, but- are you/do you have the means to transplant? Cooling/mounts/drivetrain/exhaust........... then dress with eye candy? All about you and your ride......
    It isn't what others think.....................

20. Be a sheep or be an individual.

images.jpg

55styleliner likes this.
  21. chargin03

chargin03

There is a reason everything has a chevy.

22. pkhammer

pkhammer

Chevy = easy bolt in, inexpensive to build, makes great power, parts easy to find....
    Buick = way more expensive to build, potential fitment problems, parts harder to find, makes great power, looks cool as heck....
    I like being different so I'd for sure go with the Buick.

55styleliner likes this.
  23. Yes, that's why I've had a bunch of them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

24. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I love being different and building to period correct/H.A.M.B. friendly. Maybe that should have been my question, is one more period correct or give me more points on the H.A.M.B. scale of cool?

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is about $700 difference in a stock type engine kit.

26. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Definitely!!!!

27. swifty

swifty

Wife and I have 3 hot rods, none of which have Chevs and I'm currently building another 32-5 window with a 401 Nailhead so I guess you know how I voted. BTW Buicks were never sold here so anything I need has to be imported at great cost. Chev stuff is readily available.

28. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

nailhead-god already gave you one bellybutton

sunbeam and choffman41 like this.
  29. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Nailhead. They are awesome. That's a '53 322 with 3 97s and a Dynaflow in my ava.

30. DrewModelA

DrewModelA

Since you’re already running a small block I’d say save yourself some time and money and run the 327.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.