Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Sep 8, 2010.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

For all you 327 guys I just bought a 69 327... Is there any difference with this motor and other SBCs? Like do I need specific starter or flex plate etc? Any particulars that are 327 only things?

Thanks!

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Cant really answer your question But You dont need a special flex plate or starter ,The 68 and 69 are large journal cranks ,I have one and love the motor Pick up some fulie heads and enjoy ,

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Any flex plate from that period of time will work (not 400 SBC). Theres 2 sizes and 2 startes. Each starter is for a said size flexplate.

4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

there are some internal part differences such as the rods and pistons, anything will bolt to the outside of the larger large journal 327's

so the answer would be no

5. squirrel

squirrel

It should be pretty much identical to a 1969 350, except the crankshaft and pistons are different.

1968-69 was the beginning of the more modern small blocks, with the PCV system in the valve covers instead of the front and back of the block, screw on oil filter, etc.

6. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Cool, Thanks guys... I don't know the cam in my motor, but am thinking of getting a new one so I at least know what it is. I have a pretty high geared rear end so low RPM torque would be nice. Any recommendations?

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. slammed

slammed

The 268 Comp cam is a max for your ride. It has .454 lift. Nice lope. Going smaller will net more low end power.

9. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I have a 268 in another engine and really like the sound. I haven't actually heard the 327 yet, but since it's out and easy to swap cams I kinda want to put the one I want in while it's easy.

10. You might have found an engine with the block I'm using in my
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<. High nickel 010 block. I don't care if it it has two bolt mains.