Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 327 intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, May 17, 2015.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

picked up a new holley carb this weekend, need new intake, suggestions? stock, not doing cam or any hop ups, yet. just a driver

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Edelbrock Performer

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a Performer EPS. comes with the square Holley flange and can be bought with the oil filler tube, if you need it.

Gary

4. pdq67

pdq67

Several choices here..

I know you have a Holley carb. but I'm going to run down the list anyway.

1st. The 300hp/327 cast-iron AFB intake is about the best square-bore cast-iron intake out there unless you buy a modern GM one.

2nd. A cast-iron Q-Jet is hard to beat!

3rd. A good old E-brock 2010 Performer spread-bore is a dandy for a stock replacement as is Weiand's old 8004. And

4th. Holley's old 300-36, true high-rise intake is still, imho, the best on the "smaller, 370- inch" engines and for the "bigger, 370+ inch", one's look towards the old Weiand 8016 Stealth..

I hope you either have an old 600 cfm, PN 1850 or a 750 cfm PN 3310-? Holley carb. because these two are hard to beat for price AND performance.

I hope this is of help.

pdq67

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

use a K&N air filter for a little boost in performance

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Edelbrock C4B would be a good traditional choice.

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

From "back in the day" these show up on "evilbay" sometimes. $_57.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  8. I have one of those Edelbrock Streetmaster items and would like to know what years the first were made. JW :)

9. the factory Z28 intake or the C4B are about the same. they made a cast iron square base that a hollet will bolt to. you coud use a cast 4 GC intake with a adapter. any offenhauser or wieand dual plane intake will work pretty good.

10. ...............................Is that the one with the Winters snowflake cast into it?

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

these are all good choices, C4B, Performer or 327/350

Attached Files:

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Or the C-3-B which is the same thing I think it was meant for the Holly 3 barrel. These are great manifolds and closely resemble the GM aluminum manifolds used on the Camaro's, and Corvettes.

Pat

13. I've always liked the one on the SBC in my avatar.......GM part# 3917610. I think it's an early ('67-'68 Z-28 intake, not '69).

14. pdq67

pdq67

Imho, don't install the old pre Z-28 intake, the one with square corners in it's runners!! I want to say it is the 340hp/327 intake??

And I figure the old Holley 300-36 is the best one until the engines are made larger, and then the old Weiand 8016 Stealth will do fine!!

I don't think anybody ever did say why the old E-Brock C4B intake was obsoleted for the old 2101 Performer intake?? Imho, the C4B look's muscular to me!!

pdq67

15. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I don't think anybody ever did say why the old E-Brock C4B intake was obsoleted for the old 2101 Performer intake?? Imho, the C4B look's muscular to me!!

pdq67[/QUOTE]

When I bought my C3BX at a swap meet, the vendor told me it would not clear a HEI. I don't know if its true or not but maybe that's what did away the C4B.

Gary

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Since I sold those "Back in the Day" they were produced in the mid 70's, Edelbrock Streetmasters & Offy Dual-Ports both filled a niche during the Jimmy Carter so called "Gas Crisis" era, the idea was to increase bottom end and mid-range and fuel economy.There were two SBC versions of the Streetmaster below is the other one which doesn't do much good except save weight but has a spread-bore mounting pad.Notice the similar runner design to the Torker II that isn't well liked. $_57 (2).JPG

17. Thanks for that info, I have one on my 301 SBC in my T. JW:)

18. joe buck

joe buck

put a 1 inch spacer under the carb. Recurve the dizzy. Advance the cam 4 degrees. After you put one of the suggested intakes on.

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There is always this notion that a dual plane is better than a single plane which is not always true because runner size as compared to cylinder head volume can make or break your build.Example local "speed shop" told a guy a Performer RPM would be the hot ticket on a 283 with a 600 Holley it was at one of my customers shops it was a total dog and while running it would make your eyes water,I suggested he swap it for a regular Performer (smaller runners) and it ran like night and day different the Streetmaster in post #7 has smaller runners which improves low and mid range port velocity now as the cubic inches are increased and ports become larger the factors will change,also smaller early cylinder head designs are limited to camshaft duration on the intake side.

20. Stock? Like you want a stock manifold or you have a stock 327. If you can find one an L-79 intake will accept a Holley square bore carb no problem. And they look really good on a 327 for some reason.

Oh what kind of Holley did you buy? That may effect the intake choice that you make. If you bought a spread bore for instance the L-79 won't work but a late model aluminum truck intake will work real well.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like this one.
    I got lucky years ago, found an NOS intake in original GM box.
    3245 holley.jpg

22. I'm not sure if the snow flake was on the small block. I know its on the original 68-69 BB, GM later reproduced it and the flake was not on that one. I just sold a 302 Z-28 intake and I have a ported big block one with the flake on it. Both are two of the best flowing intakes GM ever made.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. ..................................I can't speak for the '69 DZ302 intake, but the #3917610 ('67-'68) has the Winters snowflake.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm positive. Snowflake.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. ^ Thank you, I will sleep well tonight. Mine was a 69 that had been heavily polished long ago and most of the markings were long gone.