Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 Chevy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hombre, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Hombre

Hombre

Several years ago I bought an old F6 Ford fire truck. This truck came with a 327 Chevy engine in it. The old truck was finished like I said years ago and is doing fine with a 390 Engine. The 327 I pulled and have stored it for all this time, never thinking I would ever use it, but maybe. I traded for a pretty cool 1953 Ford Ranch Wagon ( 2 door) and I think the 327 is a great fit to replace the hot water six that came in the 53.

I have just started on this project, and it is a simple one too. Just an engine and tranny swap, convert it to 12 volts and then drive the wheels off of the critter. No rust to fix just a good solid little driver car.

That's brings me to a question for the chevy folks. I got this motor apart today and was surprised at how clean it is inside. Bore is .040 over so someone has been inside it at some time. Crank is in great shape and is .010/.010. No ridge in the cylinders at all and I can see the cross hatch in the bores. It does have those small valve old Power Pack heads but they are in great shape. The plugs and the heads are very black and sooty, it had some crazy looking old Holley 4 brl carb. dual line and that silver finish to it. So the sooty plugs don't surprise me much.

My plans are to install new bearings, and rings, lifters and a new cam. Of course I will also install all new timing gears and a new oil pump. But I am going to pretty much leave it alone. I would like to install some cam with a little more uumph but realize the heads are going to hold it back quite a bit. So what would be a good mild cam for this motor? I have an almost new 3x2 barrel intake and Rochester carbs so they are going on it as well.

Any ideas for a mild build for this old 327 would be greatly appreciated.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hombre and Johnny Gee like this.