Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 324 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moose610, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Suggestions for transmission to match to a 324 Olds. Replacing a six in a '50 Olds Club Coupe. Current tranny is Hydramatic from the six.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe staying with an automatic would be quite easy; the old Hydra-matics were good units (though expensive). If you want to go with a manual transmission, the easiest way to go would be a stock '50 Olds setup. It has the Cad/LaSalle type transmission which is quite strong. However, unless you can find a complete setup including the clutch linkage, it may be difficult. If you have to do substantial fabrication in the clutch area, it may me easier to start from scratch, with perhaps a hydraulic clutch. At that point you would be limited in transmission choice to what you can get adapter plates for. As I understand it, the original Olds parts are one year only and very difficult to find. You might also try to find a selector setup out of a little later Olds ('51-'58), but they are just as hard to find and the transmission is inferior.

I think someone on here is running a Muncie four-speed behind a Rocket; perhaps they will chime in here. Most likely, you are in for quite a bit of fabrication unless you can find something stock.

Moose610 likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'52 - '55 Olds dual range … bolt-in with all Olds parts.

Moose610 likes this.
  4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a freshly rebuilt 54 Olds hydro slant pan...…………...not listed for sale but could be bought for less than a rebuild cost

Moose610 and 302GMC like this.

5. F&J

F&J

I will be selling off some Olds stuff soon in the classifieds. I do have complete standard shift setups for 303/324 which are 3 speed 37 Buick top shifter case with Olds V8 gears & shafts...incl bell, flywheel, fork, TOB, etc. I use this setup in my 32 ford and other builds.

LaSalles & the one year 50 Olds "LaSalle type" transmissions are not easy to find parts for these days, like the syncro ass'y and 1st/reverse sliding gear, which often are needed in a ''well used'' transmission.

also have a used 54 hydramatic.

but you live too far away, and crating/shipping is a real pain.

Moose610 likes this.
  6. N43

N43

I have been attempting the same project. I think that I have the necessary parts for a Cadillac-Lasalle 3-speed setup but have been spoiled by the 4-speed Hydramatic. I have been told that it can be rebuilt and made strong enough to handle V8 power by adding additional clutch discs but have no idea if it will work. V8 linkage will still be needed. Other considerations are upgrading the brakes with 88/98 parts to improve stopping and possibly upgrading the rear end. The 88 differential case had pieces welded into it, I am told to to handle mushrooming caused by increased power.

Moose610 likes this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Moose610 likes this.
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I envy your dilema,
    I would love to find a '50 club coupe.

Moose610 and hrm2k like this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been looking for a shoebox Ford to put my 324 in..ala Thunder Road.…..just have not found one yet

Moose610 and Paul like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

"I have been told that it can be rebuilt and made strong enough to handle V8 power by adding additional clutch discs but have no idea if it will work."
    It's single range, meaning it can't be held in 3rd unless modified and can't be shifted into reverse unless at a dead stop. You really don't want it.

Moose610 likes this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I hear ya, I have a few (Olds) engines waiting for the right car to turn up.

Moose610 and hrm2k like this.
  12. Thanks for all the input. I'll be at the National Antique Olds meet in Shoreview, MN in a couple weeks. I hope to visit with a few folks about options. I'll probably stay with the automatic and will explore upgrades. I'll probably replace the differential. Lots to do on this project.

13. May consider this, but distance and shipping may prove costly.

hrm2k likes this.