Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 324 Olds to early Ford trans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Torchie, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Had my block on a stand for about 3 months, then as a short block, and now a long block for the last couple months with no issues.

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's drag racing starts that blow transmissions, that is revving up and dumping the clutch from a dead start. Take off easy and develop a little momentum, then you can give it the works with no worries.

3. 4 leg stand from the rear mount works fine on the Olds. Some folks install a vertical support in the front to support the weight of the engine if you wish.

4. I used mine in the back where the tranny mounts.
    Sometimes I added another support at the front motor mount location, because they are heavy!

5. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the replies.
    Front support sounds like the way to go.
    Torchie.

6. Torchie

Torchie

Just to update this thread.
    I did pickup a 324 from 54 Olds to put in my 41 Ford custom. Also have the front motor mounts. I am awaiting delivery of a NOS 176 tooth Olds flywheel. Talked with Wilcap and they said that the stock Olds flywheel is drilled to take the Ford "long" style bolt pattern PP, but I will have to use the finger type as a diaphram style is too thick. I should be able to use the stock starter as well with no clearence issue's.
    So what exhaust manifolds are you guys using? The 54 has the the front cross over pipe. The block hugger headers that I have looked at are designed for a remote type oil filter. Are you using later model Olds cast iron manifolds that dump in the rear?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Torchie. IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.jpg

Attached Files:

• 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
  7. I am using a front dump 51 on the left and for the moment have just blocked off the front port on the right manifold and am using the rear port. Flanges are available so you could make your own which is what I may have to do later.

8. 1941coupe

1941coupe

im using stock 50 olds 303 manifolds in my 46 merc dual exhaust,pass side has pleanty of room drivers side is tight but doable,some guys go single exhaust with cross over pipe,i made my own exhaust pipes and flanges are available as vtwhead stated

Attached Files:

9. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks guys. looks like I will go with the stock set and do the DS front dump and the blocked port on the PS. I have seen the flanges and would prefer not to run a header style exhaust if possible. My concern with the crossover is weather it will clear steering drag links. I will know more when I set the engine in place.
    Torchie.

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Yep, I think not a real good "HOT" rod setup. Probably good for cruising. But I once knew a guy who said he busted up quite a few early Ford trannies with a '56 324. He finally gave up on the Ford tranny. Not sure what he went to after that. I almost want to say Muncie. But can't remember now.

11. Torchie

Torchie

Seems about the same as a Nailhead to Ford Trans setup and I know a guy that has had one of those in his 40 sedan since the late 50's and still the same trans.
    Mine is going to be a cruiser not a bruiser so I think that I will be alright. Stock 41 suspension and skinny 16" tires.
    Torchie.

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's my 324 with tranny
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420424867.738338.jpg

From Austinrod

13. Austinrod is that ps manifold a oe item or one that has been modified. Can't tell from the pic but it looks like the outlet has been brazed on ?????

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is the instruction sheet from an orig offy adapter ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420459092.890262.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Tim and Speedy Canuck like this.
  15. Torchie

Torchie

Looks to me to be a modified 303 manifold??? Notice there is no generator bracket as well. Looks like they cut off the rear dump/crossover connector. It will be interesting to see his reply.
    Nice piece of history on the instruction sheet. Pretty much jibes with what the Wilcap rep said.
    Pre 54 engines use a 166 tooth flywheel I think as compared to the 54 and up 176 tooth flywheel.
    My flywheel should be here tomorrow.
    Torchie,

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Belond made headers to fit your swap

17. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here pic of manifold
    Came on car when I got it plus
    Engine after being put back together
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420471873.426701.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420471911.078027.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420471951.564358.jpg
    And extra bits
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420472005.728942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420472042.391877.jpg

From Austinrod

18. Why not use two drivers side exhaust manifolds? You'll still have to use a remote oil filter, but they'll clear the stock starter, either on the drivers side, or passenger side.
    Here's mine done that way (I need to go into the garage and get a better picture):

[​IMG]

And here's an Olds powered pickup that Titus was working on. I'm not sure what exhaust manifold is being used, but I'd like to find one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, But good luck finding a set!

19. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I kinda lightened the engine photo for more detail
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420473381.367551.jpg

From Austinrod

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Info on Olds/'39 Ford box, Olds flywheel: '49-'50 Merc had Borg & Beck cover drilling on 3-finger pressure plate, used 10" disc. This made the clutch & cover a bolt-in.
    I used this setup in my '40 Coupe, with a Cad lower bellhousing to switch the starter to pass. side.
    4 trannies later, I changed the trans to a '37 LaSalle...did the tailshaft and rear mount trick to early Ford torque tube. The big surprise came when I installed it...The LaSalle trans with modified Ford mount was 1.25" longer at the rear!
    Did some cutting/welding on the 'X' member, shortened the torque tube, and the change was worth it!
    The LaSalle had a tall low gear, (close to 25 tooth Zephyrs) and I loved the long stick...
    Never scattered the Cad box, car 'felt' torquey, gave the illusion of being faster than it was.
    Engine was 'mild', low 90s at the drags, but consistent.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'49 Olds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Speedy Canuck likes this.
  22. Hmm. That one from Titus's thread looks like the generator mount was originally part of the manifold along with a rear single dumper.
    That 49 Olds doesn't have the gen mount.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Both my '49s had the generator up top on the intake manifold

24. Interesting. Good to know.

25. But then you need the double grooved water pump pulley and belt tensioner, right?

26. Torchie

Torchie

I think the manifold question was in regards to your PS exhaust Manifold. It looks to have been modified.

Looks like Olds switched to exhaust manifold mounted generators in 1952. Also the early 303's exhaust manifolds were switchable from PS to DS. Most likely that stopped once they mounted the generator on them.. I have yet to see a rear dump exhaust manifold with a generator mount like the pic of Titus's. Would be great to know what it is from.
    Torchie.

27. Yeah, the outlet has been brazed on. You can tell from the slight sweep in the manifold where the original outlet was at the rear of it.

28. Agreed. That's what I've been trying to figure out. Unless the mount was cut off a passenger side manifold and welded back onto the drivers side before being chromed.

29. Torchie

Torchie