Register now to get rid of these ads!

322 nailhead runs hot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XWYNNSGUY, Jul 12, 2009.

1. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

:confused:hi, have 322 nailhead in my 32 that the temp keeps creeping up at highway speeds. fine around town. new rad, new stant superstat 180. all blead. just seams like the coolant is not flowing? has anyone run into anything like this? any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Additionally, do you have a pusher electric fan that could be impeding air flow at
    highway speeds? If the coolant wasn't flowing it would be hot around town.

If you do have a hi-flow pump it could be moving too much coolant while running down the highway causing cavitation, or just not allowing it to absorb enough engine heat.

Lemme know.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

thanks, puller fan, when i get off of the hgwy. she cools down, tried a/c pump, made it worse, went back to 3 fin pump.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

How about lower hose collapsing at highway RPMs?<!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

One of those cheapie ($40) temp guns from Harbor Freight will tell you a lot.

7. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

no, stainless coupling down below. thanks, tom

8. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

i tried a 7lb. cap and it pumped out a little coolant and is staying below 200. fyi thanks to all. this sight and all of you that contribute are the bomb. thanks, tom

9. Running a vacuum advance distributor?

I know, I talk about this a lot on the cooling threads where overheating occurs at idle and in traffic.

So I'm guessing you probably are.

Even running a small engine it's still a lot more HP than it had before so it's probably not working too hard at highway speeds.

I'm wondering if you shot the timing from a true TDC mark?
    Meaning that, 10* initial and 36* all-in (an example) would be 10* and 36*.

You're probably aware that a stock harmonic dampener (called balancer by some) can have the outer ring slip and your timing is not what you think it is.

I'm beginning to think the 462" Buick outer ring on the dampener in my 32 roadster may have slipped.
    I have yet to double check true TDC, but I bumped the initial timing up 4* and am still running 32* all-in.
    Buicks seem to like 32* all-in

The added timing has it running a little better and seat-of-the-pants testing shows a little more power.

Best part, no pinging on 87 octane in the 100* heat we're having now.

I note too that the highway engine temp has dropped abot 4-6*.

10. An additional question I thought of, are you running hood sides?

If not, the air will take the path of least resistance and go around the radiator instead of through it.