Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 322 Nailhead Engine Cradle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crew Chief, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

So with all this Covid-19 stuff going around, I am staying on the ranch and not venturing out much. I am working in the shop/hangar almost every day so now I have decided to either build, modify or purchase an engine cradle for my 322 Nailhead so I can free up my engine stand. I searched to see if there was anything on Ebay and there was one ad for this type of cradle. The problem is they want $200 for the cradle and $100 for shipping. Too expensive. Do any of you all have plans or suggestions on modifying a SBC engine cradle for the nailhead? This would be a good project for this week. Thanks

2. belair

belair

Don't wait on me, but I used to have one. If I find it, I will let you know, but I imagine I threw it away when I moved.

Crew Chief likes this.
  3. Canuck

Canuck

Bought a cheap china dolly of Kijiji aor my 425, think it was $25.
    upload_2020-4-6_11-4-4.png

Modified the uprights to mount off the trans mounting flange and the engine mount mounts. The engine mount section was also made to accomodate chevy mounting spacing.
    upload_2020-4-6_11-6-46.png
    Upright supports adjustable with sliding fitting and a stop bolt. Would have been nicer if the trans area mounts could have been on the front so a trans could have been mounted. Sold it last year, buyer liked the mods and the flexability it allowed, was going to use it for a BB Mopar.

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a picture at work but I have mine bolted to the exhaust ports (2 ends, 2 middle). They started off as just motor feet, then I put wheels on it.

Crew Chief likes this.

5. duncan

duncan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn’t rocket science. I temporarily modified a flathead cradle to fit my nailhead..3/8”x1.5” verticals in the rear, to straddle the oil pan, sitting on the pan rails and simple brackets on the front mount casting. That allows you access to the bell housing for mounting the transmission.

Crew Chief likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Cut down the size of an old shipping pallet and tie it down.