Register now to get rid of these ads!

322 Nailhead Buick Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever18, Aug 15, 2009.

1. 4ever18

4ever18

I just took in trade a 1956 Buick 322 engine & three speed manual transmission (6 bolt top cover). My plan is to install this engine in my '34 Ford 5 window coupe project. The engine is currently equipped with one two bbl carb. I want to upgrade to one of the aftermarket multiple carb setups (dual 4bbls are my preference). Also, I want to use either a Muncie or Borg-Warner T10 4 speed trans (I've already narrowed a '64 Pontiac rear for the car). Eelco makes new bellhousings for this transmission swap for the '57 & later nailheads. I'm told that the stock '56 bellhousing can be modifed to accept the above mentioned GM 4 speed trans.

I'd appreciate any feedback from fellow HAMB members, regarding the conversion of the stock bellhousing and/or intake interchange information.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this project.

Darrell

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Two 4 bbls might be too much for this motor. Are you planning on running something like the 50's era Rochester 4 jet carbs? They might be small enough to work.

Personally, I prefer the look of three deuces on these motors. I have 3-97s/Weiand manifold on my 53 322. Stock inside; these carbs seem to provide plenty.

DSC_0683 small.JPG

3. 4ever18

4ever18

My preference for the two 4bbl carbs is related more to my comfort level with the old Rochester carbs and lack of comfort with the Strombergs... Besides, I just like the look of the two 4bbl carbs with the small aircleaners. I expected that the carbs would have to be something small, but lack of knowledge of these engines means that I'm probably going to make several mistakes (because something works on '55-'95 SBC engines, I'll be tempted to "ASSUME" that it just might work on the Buick engine). That's why I'm posting these questions here... Hopefully, someone can steer me around duplicating their "learning opportunity".

Thanks for posting.

Darrell

4. Judd

Judd

Darrel

If you have a Chevy trans just stick it in the Buick belhousing you'll see what to do. If I remember right you oval out one set of holes on the trans, drill the bell for the other two an use the stock Buick crank pilot bushing. There is a big (56 and some of the bigger 54/55 models ) and a small (earlier Specials I think ) bell housing.

I just took in trade a 1956 Buick 322 engine & three speed manual transmission (6 bolt top cover). My plan is to install this engine in my '34 Ford 5 window coupe project. The engine is currently equipped with one two bbl carb. I want to upgrade to one of the aftermarket multiple carb setups (dual 4bbls are my preference). Also, I want to use either a Muncie or Borg-Warner T10 4 speed trans (I've already narrowed a '64 Pontiac rear for the car). Eelco makes new bellhousings for this transmission swap for the '57 & later nailheads. I'm told that the stock '56 bellhousing can be modifed to accept the above mentioned GM 4 speed trans.

I'd appreciate any feedback from fellow HAMB members, regarding the conversion of the stock bellhousing and/or intake interchange information.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this project.

Darrell[/QUOTE]

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I understand your point. By all means, build it the way you want. For what it is worth, I am a big fan of the early Rochester 'little' 4 barrel carbs; I have run them for years, just never on a nailhead. When I first read your post I was picturing modern Holley monsters.

6. 4ever18

4ever18

Thanks for the post, Judd. When I removed the bellhousing from the Buick, I noticed that the two top bolt holes "looked right" for the Muncie/Borg Warner. I bolted a Chevy bellhousing to the Buick bellhousing (using these two top bolt holes). The Buick holes are the rigth width, but are about 1/8" closer to the crank center line than the Chevy. The Buick bellhousing would be easy to drill for the lower Chevy trans mounting holes. I didn't know if it was worth welding up the stock upper holes and redrilling & taping them - or just elongate the holes in the trans ears. It's good to hear that the stock pilot bushing will work with the Muncie/Borg-Warner trans.

Again, thank you.

Darrell

7. 4ever18

4ever18

Yeah, I'm just "lost in the 60's". If you're curious about what my car looks like, check out my profile photos. I have big window Hallibrands, pie crust slicks on the car. I've recently purchased a pair of the reproduction Kidney Bean wheels for the front. I'm using a Model A axle (drilled, but not dropped) and a stock style front spring (nose up, early 60's style). The two 4bbls, narrowed Pontiac rear, Summer's Brothers axles, Hallibrands, 4 speed trans, etc. - Heck, I get excited just thinking about it. ;-)

Darrell

8. belair

belair

Good info, Judd. I have the same set-up (engine and trans) and was wondering how or if I could use a newer 4 or even 5 speed.

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you watch Ebay, you'll end up finding a trans-dapt or other bell that will put the Chevy behind the Buick.
    Takes a while to find it though!
    -Brad