Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 vs 33-34 Pedal Assemblies??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Oct 13, 2003.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I have been looking for a decent set of 32 pedals, with no luck.

I may have a lead on some 34 pedals. Are they similar to 32?

I am fabricating my own K-member so I can adapt if they are close. I will pursue the 34 pedals if I can make them work.

Thanks,

Neal...inCA

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

If you are making the K member,go ahead with the 34,s.
    They are pretty close to the 32.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks. If they are the same basic configuration, I should be able to make a crossmember leg to fit.

I will check it out.

Neal...inCA

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought pedals from 33 on up through the 40's mounted at a big fat angle on their respective cross members and the 32 mounts "flat" to the vertical part of the "K". If you're building you can build to suit I suppose, but I think 33-34 pedals are configured closer to 39 pedals than 32. Something to keep in mind if you are expecting a "flat" mount. School me if I'm wrong.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the front of the X in '33-4 is very short, and the angle is at least very close to '32. The pedals and cross shaft both fit in the '32 locations with some but not all bolts actually aligning. However, when I tried this (at least 40 years ago), it was in a deuce lacking certain detail parts I couldn't afford like engine, trans, and steering so I can't tell you if pedals actually end up in a good place or if there's enough difference to put them into the steering in a deuce. At any rate, there should be no problem with a custom crossmember, and the Early V8 Garage even sells a device to convert the pedal to push without any fabricating, just like its '32 converter.
    Since you are making the crossmember, though, I think you should consider using a hydraulic assembly with integral MC mount. You only would have to tilt the leg to a different angle, and could use either the 19$$$39 assembly or the common and cheap '40-48 by adding its little clutch crossbar to your chassis.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Schooled. [​IMG] Neal - I am in the process of cobbling together a pedal assembly for my roadster out of two different 39 assemblies. I'll have some leftovers that would probably interest you....too sick to work on my car right now so I'll get back to you when I've finished.

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    Since you are making the crossmember, though, I think you should consider using a hydraulic assembly with integral MC mount. You only would have to tilt the leg to a different angle, and could use either the 19$$$39 assembly or the common and cheap '40-48 by adding its little clutch crossbar to your chassis.

[/ QUOTE ]

School me here also, being that I don't have the parts sitting here in front of me.

I was thinking that by using a 39-48 pedal assy, the m/c ended up hanging partially below the frame. Or is that something that only happens when you move the ear to the bottom on a 32 pedal? That is something I don't want to see on a fenderless car.

I really like the bell crank assembly that dondanno built that bolts to a stock K-member with stock pedals. It keeps the m/c tucked up in the frame real nice.

[​IMG]

So many ways to build a better mousetrap. It sure would be easier if I was a restorer [​IMG]

Neal...inCA

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the really low hanging rig is the '32 pedal with its original arm rewelded on the bottom--with that, the rod passes beneath the crossmember floor piece. I think the MC is only a bit below the pedal center line on '39-48, but can't find a decent picture online. Check with me tomorrow and I'll measure one.
    And an alternate thought about moving it up into the crossmember--an old way was a complete '32 assembly including stock crossbar, with MC mounted pointing forward and pushed by the rocker on the crossbar. This puts MC on right of trans, mounted at about same center level as brake pedal shaft. Also, someone on HAMB posted another version, with '32 cross shaft slid over behind pedals and MC mounted pointing forward over on the left. Anyone have those pictures?

9. I had a nice set of 32 pedals in my hand this afternoon. Dude was digging some A roadster bit's out to show me and he had those pedals laying under a bunch of sheet metal chunks in the back of an old panel. I'll grab them next time I'm at his place.

kidcampbell71 likes this.