Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 vin # Un-readable ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod31, Oct 20, 2006.

1. HotRod31

HotRod31

Any Tips or Tricks to lifting a vin # off a frame ? I can barely make out what appears to be a 7 but thats it.

Thanks, Mark

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

sand blast it- you can get really good definition out of otherwise unreadable crap.

3. geemann51

geemann51

try laying a piece of paper on it and rubbing a crayon oi it, like they do to the tombstones

4. the serial number should be stamped in three places...but two of those are under the body. is the body off the frame?

5. rodrelic

rodrelic

and you probably don't have the trans?

6. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

My late father used to use a type of acid to read serial numbers that were removed (sanded off) from frames, engines and firearms. He had a detective buddy that gave him the secret. Maybe if you ask a crime lab technician how they do it..it was a simple etching process though..

7. HotRod31

HotRod31

No motor or tranny. Yea the body is still on it (truck cab) I found the one in front of the firewall (unreadable one). I was told there is one on rear crossmember but can't find one there. Should be one under the cab, right? Thats what I was thinking , some type of chemical. I believe blasting will erode away what is left the numbers.

Thanks, Mark

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I've had good luck with hand sanding, the rusty dust will sit in the lowspots and make the number readable, only of course if the rust hasent gone to deep.

9. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

hand sand and dust with chalk.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Take some grinding metal dust and sprinkle it on the number make sure the number area is bare metal and rub a strong magnet on the underside of the frame you might make it out. It worked for Magyver. LOL.

11. rodrelic

rodrelic

Should have included this link, if you got a frame with the frontend on it the first location is the best bet, just a cab, I would hope for the second location.
    I haven't seen many early frame numbers done well. I have a '46 piece that show's well, either monday morning or thay had a pneumatic by then
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

12. BELLM

BELLM

Mine has the number stamped on top of the drivers side framerail on top of the rear kickup, also in the area somewhere around the center of the door on top of the frame. One in front had been ground, could only see part of stars & 1st & last #, very faint.