Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 sedan door glass problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 29, 2013.

1. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Is the glass channel along the bottom of the glass damaged?

Also are the rollers on the arms engaged to the channel correctly?

2. John Stimac

John Stimac

This thread inspired me to get off my lazy ass today and change out the bad drivers side regulator in my Victoria. Had a pair of gennies in my stock, and it went smoothly, window works perfect. Good luck with yours

Attached Files:

3. Your bad one looks pretty good to me

4. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Fingers crossed for ya Danny. Hope its a simple fix. Good luck today.

5. with the regulator on the bench install all the screws and see which one could cause the problem that you are having. if that does not do it the it has to be hitting something in the door. or one of the arms are tweeked a bit. ford made them simple and you are missing something simple.
    really measure the full travel on the bench then again in the door.
    what problem did you have with the original one?
    I have a couple hundred NOS regulators in stock. do you have a photo of the original so I can compare with one of mine

6. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I would split the problem in two... Install the window channels and glass in the door without the regulator. Now, without the regulator, can you raise and lower the glass and does it go up and down smoothly? If not, then your problem is with the glass and the window channels. If the glass goes up and down O.K., then the problem is with the window regulator installation.

7. I have almost convinced myself that what I have is a drives side regulator instead of passenger side after seen Johns photos.

Could very well be the reason why I'm having so much trouble.HRP

[​IMG]

8. How does the replacement compare to the one you took out?

9. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

HRP, The regulator you show in your last post is for the right side(passenger side). Crank is positioned to the front of the door and the crank will be to the upper part of the regulator when you measure the distance between the two front mounting bolts. Also the lower rear portion of the regulator has an angle cut as opposed to a square corner on the other three corners. This corresponds to the angled opening in the inner door shell. I would be looking for interference between one or more of the six mounting screws and the regulator. Might just start with two lower mounting screws and running regulator through it's travel without the window attached and then add a screw and repeat process and see what happens.

10. John Stimac

John Stimac

My regulator in the picture is marked incorrectly. It is the drivers side, not the right side. However, after seeing the pic of yours, I believe what you have is a 33-34 regulator, which will work, but is different with respect to the raised areas I alluded to in my first post. Double click my photo of both units, and look closely at the screw holes and you will see how deep the threads are. This is due to the 32 regulator {only} having this depth. As I said, I've used 33-34 units, but have built up those areas with washers that I would tape on to shim the regulator out to create the needed clearance. Good Luck

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's a passenger side regulator, you wouldn't be able to even install the driver's side.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. John Stimac

John Stimac

He's replacing the passenger side, its the one he needs.

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The only thing left to suggest is to think about how it was done on the assembly line back in 1932. If done the way they did it, you can be sure it took less than one minute.

14. Thank you for making it sound so simple Doug,,believe it or not this is not the first 32 I have had and installed glass in,,I've installed glass in 3 and never had this problem.

And I've never been able to install glass in less than a minute. HRP

15. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I'll be the first to admit I dont know squat about window regulators, most of my experience has been tearing them out and throwing them away....but I am off work tomorrow and if you need somebody to hold the light and help you cuss, well , I am pretty good at that.:)

16. Please post what you find for a solution. Inquaring minds want to know.

17. Choff

Choff

Did you double check the glass size ???

18. RDR

RDR

Danny....in your picture the glass channel is upside down....
    maybe you do have a drivers side and are trying to put it upside down??

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Are the slots in the window channels the right length? Could they be hitting the end?

20. OK guys,,I finally figured out the problem,,I dug the old window regulator out of the junk barrel and it's as plain as the nose on my face,,,it's the wrong regulator.

It is a passenger side but it's made for a 33/34 ford.

This is what I have been fighting with for the past week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what a 32 regulator looks like,,note the raised area where the screws attach,,they are almost 3/4" log and they space the regulator away from the inner panel of the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to make 6 spacers and tack them in place and I'm sure the problem will be solved.

BTW,,I looked for my Receipt for the regulator and I was wrong,,I did not buy it from Dick Spadaro so he has noting to do with the part being wrong.

I'll post again when I have everything ready to go back together. HRP

21. John Stimac

John Stimac

Great news, raised areas

22. Glad you got it figured out. been piqued..... Seen it before on an A.and thought wth? Do your mods,and all will be good!:). Hot rods......Jeeze!

23. Ok,the spacers were fabricated,tack welded in place and I was confident everything would work as it should,,I installed the regulator and slide the channel on to the window.

I was feeling confident as I rolled the window down,,,Damn,it still wouldn't go all the way down!:mad:

I take it all out again,,pick up my old regulator and hold the new one beside it,,crank them both all the way up and they match,,crank the old broken one all the way down,,grab the new one and crank it all the way down and it doesn't go all the way down.

Flip them both over and see a screw and notice multiple holes in the new regulator,,,I removed the screw and low and behold It went all the way down.

Damn,now I feel like a idiot that I never noticed this in the past.

Long story short,I just finished installing it for the what feels like the hundredth time and every thing works like Henry intended.

Thank you guys for all the support and suggestions,,I'm ready for sunny days or rain! :D HRP

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad you figured it out.

25. Tommy,when it smacks you in the face it's easy!:D

[​IMG]

26. Smokey2

Smokey2

HRP, Glad you finnaly figured it out, I was worring myself sick over it !

Always appreciate your posts. smokey2 :)

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Good the see ya got it figured out Danny.

28. upspirate

upspirate

HRP,if the screw was in this hole,would it have worked or did it need the spacers also?

29. It still needed the spacers,,it was hanging on the inside lip of the door. HRP

30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

glad you got it going. Have had reg problems on 40's and sometimes just have to walk away and rethink it--especially 40 2dr sedan rear windows-they drive me crazy but finally got it. Glad yours is good to go now.