Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 32 Roadster, Rumble Seat Top?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Was this an option? Never seen one and my search yielded nothing. Not too attractive, but definitely.. different

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Where are the rubber foot pads on the top of the rear fenders? Never seen the rumble tent before.

3. Carter

Carter

Saw one at a Model A swap last year, thought about grabbing it, but would have never used it. Not a factory option, I don't think. Early aftermarket, i think.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Looked like a new 32 body, wouldn't doubt they had a aftermarket thing back in the day for the rumble....

6. I saw one at the NSRA Nationals in Columbus back about 10 years ago,,It seems like I remember someone here had a top on his roadster's rumble seat that even had side curtains to keep his kids dry in bad weather. HRP

7. metal man

metal man

Never been caught in the rain in a rumble seat, huh?:) I have, and I think it's kinda neat, in a dorky way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would never put my kids in the rumble seat, mother inlaw; probably.

joel likes this.
  9. This thing caught my attention, on the way out of that building. I was curious if there were curtains available. Wouldn't make much sense without them. Thanks guys!

Stogy likes this.
  10. The one I saw did. HRP

Stogy likes this.
  11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If there was such a thing available it would not have come from Ford Motor Company.
    Not sure but have seen Model As with a version of this too.

12. Has me thinking, since they're not too stylish, they're not going to show up in any of the rags. Being that I live in sunny SoCal, is probably another reason I've never seen one in person.

13. badshifter

badshifter

It said on the sign who the maker of the top was, not Ford. Also much was mentioned of all the details, but nothing about the body which had lots of faked patina. The left front fender looked MAYBE original, the rest looked new. Kinda neat, but whatever.

14. I can't see these things, becoming all the rage, but it was cool(interesting) to see it once. One & done!

15. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

One was shown in an old ad in the Early Ford V-8 Times a few months ago. It was an after market thing.

16. It looks like an aftermarket accessory I have seen for a Model A (they probably made it for the Model B also). Go to fordbarn.com and search on "Tuxaway".

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  17. Elrod

Elrod

It was an early aftermarket accessory.

[​IMG]

Earl Tupper had a pattent for them. Yeah. The Tupperware guy.

[​IMG]

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a roadster built in the 70s on the east coast that had a complete top with side curtains for the rumble seat but it was all new in the 70s 2 kids in the rumble seat out of the weather. I did not like it then and my personal opinion has not changed. Neat craftsmanship but ugly execution...IMHO

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Must be something wrong with him, they (chicks) should be n the front seat.

21. @J.Fishbeck - According to the the show card, it's an after-market "Tux-A-Way" top:

Dave Graham '32 Ford V8 DeLuxe Roadster @ '14 GNRS (Show Card).JPG
    Dave Graham '32 Ford V8 DeLuxe Roadster @ '14 GNRS (Drivers 3-4 Front).JPG
    Dave Graham '32 Ford V8 DeLuxe Roadster @ '14 GNRS (Passenger 3-4 Front).JPG
    Dave Graham '32 Ford V8 DeLuxe Roadster @ '14 GNRS (Rear).JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I will have to dig through old printed photos, but I recall seeing a rumble top like that on a 32 roadster hiboy. Black with flames, in the early to mid 80's. Looked awful.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Warm? Dry? We are ROADSTER FOLK.
    Do not teach your children to be WEAK.

dos zetas and gwhite like this.

24. I agree!

Exactly. I feel the same

Now I know what to do a search for. Not that its something i really want to investigate anymore.

That just sounds wrong. No thanks!

Like a dog with its head out the window!

25. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  26. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

This is my version, made using a Quik Top as a starter. My daughter rides back there during Greatrace. This year we ran 2400 miles from Olgunquit, Maine, to The Villages, Florida over 9 days. She is a Special Needs child, and I need it to help keep the sun and rain off of her. It also disconnects quickly and folds for easy storage under the rumble seat lid. My older daughter made the fabric top. I was influenced by this car at Pomona, I just didn't make it as large so it could be stowed. It works great, and a lot of roadster owners were very interested in it at the stops along the way. It may not be pretty, but I can remove it and the main top, plus the tall windshield, and be back to a traditional A-V8 very quickly.

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  27. The rubber foot pads are on top of the passenger side fender only.

Charlie Stephens

Stogy likes this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I learned something today, makes sense with the curb side entrance idea used on the "T's".

Stogy likes this.